May 3, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Just in case you thought Ozzie Guillen was the only member of the White Sox’s coaching staff who likes giving expletive-filled quotes, here’s pitching coach Don Cooper on Jake Peavy and the rest of his staff struggling:
You can talk about a whole lot of stuff–mechanics, this and that, and the other things–but it’s time to get people out and try to figure a way to help us win games by fighting and clawing.
I can say I love to have low pitch counts, be in the seventh inning with 75 pitches. I don’t give a [bleep] what our pitch count is right now. I want you to go out and give us a chance to win the [bleep]ing game. If that’s five innings like John Danks did Saturday, it’s five innings. If it’s like the time before where Danks gave us eight, we won both games. We need to fight and claw. That’s what’s going on.
Cooper obviously knows far more about pitching than I ever will and has generally done a very good job with the White Sox, but I’m amused by the notion that, for example, Peavy’s struggles aren’t due to “a whole lot of stuff” like “mechanics” and are instead because he’s not “fighting and clawing” enough.
Also, just generally speaking my experience is that it’s never a good sign when someone says “this and that, and the other things.” On the other hand, Cooper is definitely right to single out John Danks as a positive, because he’s 3-0 with a 1.85 ERA and the rest of the White Sox’s pitching staff is 7-15 with a 5.46 ERA.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11