May 3, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Just in case you thought Ozzie Guillen was the only member of the White Sox’s coaching staff who likes giving expletive-filled quotes, here’s pitching coach Don Cooper on Jake Peavy and the rest of his staff struggling:
You can talk about a whole lot of stuff–mechanics, this and that, and the other things–but it’s time to get people out and try to figure a way to help us win games by fighting and clawing.
I can say I love to have low pitch counts, be in the seventh inning with 75 pitches. I don’t give a [bleep] what our pitch count is right now. I want you to go out and give us a chance to win the [bleep]ing game. If that’s five innings like John Danks did Saturday, it’s five innings. If it’s like the time before where Danks gave us eight, we won both games. We need to fight and claw. That’s what’s going on.
Cooper obviously knows far more about pitching than I ever will and has generally done a very good job with the White Sox, but I’m amused by the notion that, for example, Peavy’s struggles aren’t due to “a whole lot of stuff” like “mechanics” and are instead because he’s not “fighting and clawing” enough.
Also, just generally speaking my experience is that it’s never a good sign when someone says “this and that, and the other things.” On the other hand, Cooper is definitely right to single out John Danks as a positive, because he’s 3-0 with a 1.85 ERA and the rest of the White Sox’s pitching staff is 7-15 with a 5.46 ERA.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 44
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 12
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 12
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)