May 4, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Over the weekend agent Darek Braunecker made headlines and drew criticism for saying he “wouldn’t anticipate” Cliff Lee re-signing with the Mariners, with my main beef being that there’s just no need to say stuff like that six months from free agency and immediately after Lee’s first start.
Lee apparently agreed, because he quickly tried to downplay the quotes, and now Braunecker has done his best to backtrack:
I can tell you this much, based on Cliff Lee’s initial impression of the Seattle Mariners organization, the city of Seattle, the club overall … Cliff is as excited as he can be about being there. What his future holds is anybody’s guess. We don’t know. We haven’t had any substantive conversations with the organization. …
You never anticipate a deal with any club. The bottom line is we can’t anticipate any moves. But if the question is, do we anticipate Cliff not having an interest in being in Seattle long term, that would be the furthest thing from the truth. I can tell you, unequivocally, that he’s enjoyed everything about it, as we anticipated.
Without question, Cliff Lee’s primary criteria moving forward is how long and how sustainable is the high level of success for that club. That’s what Cliff Lee is looking at with this club and in hopes of being able to participate in a postseason with the Seattle Mariners. What happens from there is anybody’s guess at this juncture.
As a wise man once said: “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while.”
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)