May 4, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Over the weekend agent Darek Braunecker made headlines and drew criticism for saying he “wouldn’t anticipate” Cliff Lee re-signing with the Mariners, with my main beef being that there’s just no need to say stuff like that six months from free agency and immediately after Lee’s first start.
Lee apparently agreed, because he quickly tried to downplay the quotes, and now Braunecker has done his best to backtrack:
I can tell you this much, based on Cliff Lee’s initial impression of the Seattle Mariners organization, the city of Seattle, the club overall … Cliff is as excited as he can be about being there. What his future holds is anybody’s guess. We don’t know. We haven’t had any substantive conversations with the organization. …
You never anticipate a deal with any club. The bottom line is we can’t anticipate any moves. But if the question is, do we anticipate Cliff not having an interest in being in Seattle long term, that would be the furthest thing from the truth. I can tell you, unequivocally, that he’s enjoyed everything about it, as we anticipated.
Without question, Cliff Lee’s primary criteria moving forward is how long and how sustainable is the high level of success for that club. That’s what Cliff Lee is looking at with this club and in hopes of being able to participate in a postseason with the Seattle Mariners. What happens from there is anybody’s guess at this juncture.
As a wise man once said: “Take it easy, Champ. Why don’t you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while.”
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)