May 4, 2010, 6:16 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal, who hasn’t played since April 27 because of strained left hamstring, was placed on the disabled list Tuesday and replaced by Nick Green on the Dodgers’ roster.
The Dodgers gave Furcal a week to see if he could recover without a DL stint, but the 32-year-old shortstop has never been known as a quick healer. Jamey Carroll has been filling if for him and will probably continue to get most of the starts over Green.
Furcal was off to a promising start with the bat (.309/.378/.420) and he was showing more confidence in his legs than he had been in years. In fact, he was 8-for-9 stealing bases in 19 games before going down. He was just 12-for-18 in 150 games last year, and he hasn’t recorded a 30-steal season since 2006.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)