May 4, 2010, 6:16 PM EST
Rafael Furcal, who hasn’t played since April 27 because of strained left hamstring, was placed on the disabled list Tuesday and replaced by Nick Green on the Dodgers’ roster.
The Dodgers gave Furcal a week to see if he could recover without a DL stint, but the 32-year-old shortstop has never been known as a quick healer. Jamey Carroll has been filling if for him and will probably continue to get most of the starts over Green.
Furcal was off to a promising start with the bat (.309/.378/.420) and he was showing more confidence in his legs than he had been in years. In fact, he was 8-for-9 stealing bases in 19 games before going down. He was just 12-for-18 in 150 games last year, and he hasn’t recorded a 30-steal season since 2006.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (143)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)