And That Happened: Monday's Scores and Highlights

May 4, 2010, 5:33 AM EDT

Ubaldo Jiminez windup.jpgRockies
5, Padres 2
: Ubaldo Jimenez? Yeah, Ubaldo Jimenez: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER,
13K. Your move, Messers Lincecum and Halladay.

Blue
Jays 5, Indians 1
: Brett Cecil took a perfect game into the seventh
and ended up giving up only one hit while striking out ten. In other
news, whenever I read the name “Brett Cecil” my brain processes it as
“Brett Ashley” and I begin to wonder whether the Blue Jays’ starter’s
life is aimless and unsatisfying. Whether he too will even find
happiness as he searches in vain for the shattered values he held before
the war.

Rangers 4, Athletics 2: There’s the Rich Harden we were looking for (7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 9K). Ron Washington gets ejected for the second time since Friday in a game his team wins. Maybe he’s on to something!

Red Sox 17, Angels 8: Mike Lowell went 4 for 4 with four RBIs and three doubles, J. D. Drew had four
hits and drove in three runs and Kevin Youkilis, Bill Hall, Adrian Beltre and Dustin Pedroia all went long. In light of how given to hyperbole the Boston media is, I’m sure we can look forward to many a story this morning about how the Sox will break the single season runs record and and accompanying features in the travel section promoting World Series getaway packages.

Cardinals 6, Phillies 3:  A three-run double for David Freese as last week’s player of the week keeps up his torrid pace. Jaime Garcia gave up three hits and struck out six. If it wasn’t for a fellow named Heyward, Freese and Garcia would be having quite the teammate’s battle over NL Rookie of the year, huh? Joe Blanton returned for Philly and he was a bit better than his line indicated — 6.2 IP, 10 H, 4 ER — but it just wasn’t enough. But, hey, this was fun.

Yankees 4, Orioles 1:  See Boston? That’s how you beat Baltimore. All you need is a three-run homer from Randy Winn and eight strong innings from CC Sabathia. You might want to hold the Jorge Posada calf injury, though. That’s purely optional.

Twins 10, Tigers 4: Of course the Twins had to do this on the same day I provocatively put them below the Tigers in the Power Rankings. Wilson Ramos follows up his four-hit major league debut with a 3 for 4 night. I hereby predict that he will play in 2128 more games before being rested and that Joe Mauer will be relegated to historical footnote.  OK, not really. I’m just still coming down from my ballgame buzz.

White Sox 5, Royals 1: The White Sox breathe a sigh of relief as Jake Peavy throws seven shutout innings while striking out nine. With this tuneup out of the way, I’m sure they’ll feel much more confident about him facing major leaguers the next time out.

Reds 3, Mets 2: An 11th inning pinch-hit walkoff job for Lance Nix overshadows a decent-for-him performance from Oliver Perez. Too many baserunners — Perez allowed six hits and walked four — but he did only give up two runs and that’s some kind of progress. Or luck, but let’s not dwell on the negative, shall we?

Diamondbacks 9, Astros 1: That’s seven straight losses for the Astros, as they continue to travel around the league, making teams who have been struggling feel good about themselves. Indeed, in just the past week they’ve lifted the spirits of the Reds, the Braves and now the Dbacks. Good for you, Houston. You’re doing God’s work.

1. Moses Green - May 4, 2010 at 5:54 AM

… and it was good

2. Old Gator - May 4, 2010 at 7:24 AM

All it took to wake the Beanbags was the humiliation of getting swept by the Boids. Addendum: Give up, Mike Lowell will never leave Boston. He is the second coming of Charlie of the MTA.
    I have to go over to Publix and buy a couple of italian club sandwiches on multigrain with soy cheese and light dressing and a bag of freshly roasted unsalted peanuts. Look at how well I care for my coronary artery. If Feelies fans ate healthy like this, the capillaries of their brains wouldn’t crust up and they wouldn’t be running out on the field like jerkalopes. My trusty if not short (and selfconscious about it too) lawyer has invited me to the game to watch the heir to Bill Lee’s most valuable space cadet record, Tim Lincecum, try to fillet the fish tonight. Since it’s not my nickel and the seats belong to another client of his, I don’t feel like I’m making any further contributions to Scrooge McLoria’s money bin. Hypocrisy? Well, yeah, but in the first place that’s too goddamned bad – I will still be here all season reminding fans that every time they go to a game at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium they’re reinforcing McLoria’s impecunious behavior – and in the second, at least I brought my own sandwiches.

3. Moses Green - May 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Watch out for the bats. Furthermore, I advise you to drive faster.

4. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Awwwwww, what a game last night. I don’t even mind so much that my team lost. It was one very exciting game. Joe Blanton saves Puljos from getting his second muffed ball of the game by tossing his elbow out at Puljos as he hits the bag on a sac bunt. The elbow came out after the ball went flying out of the golden glove of Albert, So out comes Charlie after the interference call, They fought, Charlie gets tossed, And the rally the Phills were building with the top of the order coming up was crushed.Just like that. It was interesting to say the least after that. Half the Phills were trash talking the home plate ump on his calls, and here comes Werth, he says something to the Ump, the Ump pulls off his mask and starts screaming at him, a few words were exchanged, Jayson steps into the box to get ready, he looks pissed, first pitch ,Slam! It’s out of the deepest part of the park. What a statement, I could see the cards squirm in the OF, they had this look of Uhh ohhh. But it wasn’t to be. Blanton had a good night, they pulled him too soon (1-2 at this point cards up) and the reliever turned his couple of men on with two outs into 4 runs within a nanosecond, or however long it takes me to drain the Black and Tan I’d been drinking, Blanton would have most likely got the last out. Good for his first game off the DL. We had a streaker. Blanton shut down Puljos, who muffed two throws out at first btw. And Jason werth makes a huge statement with his bat after almost getting tossed for running his mouth. A very action packed game indeed, One to watch again.

5. jwb - May 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM

17-8. So the Angels made the two point conversion late in the game. Gutsy call!

6. Xpensive Wino - May 4, 2010 at 9:25 AM

The Astros have become the Washington Generals, minus the bucket of confetti.
    That certainly looks like the blueprint of a 110 loss team.

7. Nick C - May 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Umm…that was Skip Schumaker covering first base on the bunt play. Pretty bush league play by Blanton to throw an elbow. What statement did Werth make? That he can hit a meaningless solo homerun? BTW its spelled “Pujols” and he is only the best hitter in the game.

8. Old Gator - May 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM

No worries mate. I have my lawyer to protect me.
    Or, if need be, to avenge me. Let’s face it: the real “American Pastime” is suing someone.
    Right, Craig?

9. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I know who he is, and thanks I thought it was Pujols covering. Anyway, I don’t have the slightest idea of what Werth said, but whatever was pissed the guy off big time. And the home wasn’t so useless to his stats, now was it? I don’t see how breaking up a play, or attempting it in this case was Bush league. I don’t get why that is, i see it almost every game. Regardless he didn’t break up the play, it was already out of the glove.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3703)