May 4, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Reports last week had Carlos Beltran “not close to returning” from knee surgery, but yesterday the All-Star center fielder told the New York Daily News that he at least plans to begin running by early next week.
Physically, I’m in good shape. I feel strong. When I’m hitting, I feel like I’m hitting good, with power. I’m using my legs, driving the ball. I’m working with a purpose. That’s not the problem. The problem is I couldn’t tolerate some exercises. I’m looking forward to running outside and doing things related to baseball, like in a game. Running is the thing that will dictate everything.
Beltran talking about his hitting sounds encouraging, as does the Daily News‘ description of him “hitting from both sides of the plate and spraying balls all over the outfield” yesterday. Unfortunately the newspaper notes later that the guy he faced “was only pitching underhanded.” So, you know, if the NL ever decides to adopt slow-pitch softball rules, he’ll probably be an MVP candidate.
Within the Daily News article is a picture of the huge knee brace he’s been wearing and Beltran said, “I probably will need to play with it until my knee recuperates from everything.” Brace or not, he’s unlikely to return before June and will need to avoid further setbacks for that to happen.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 46
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 74
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement