May 4, 2010, 11:43 AM EST
Reports last week had Carlos Beltran “not close to returning” from knee surgery, but yesterday the All-Star center fielder told the New York Daily News that he at least plans to begin running by early next week.
Physically, I’m in good shape. I feel strong. When I’m hitting, I feel like I’m hitting good, with power. I’m using my legs, driving the ball. I’m working with a purpose. That’s not the problem. The problem is I couldn’t tolerate some exercises. I’m looking forward to running outside and doing things related to baseball, like in a game. Running is the thing that will dictate everything.
Beltran talking about his hitting sounds encouraging, as does the Daily News‘ description of him “hitting from both sides of the plate and spraying balls all over the outfield” yesterday. Unfortunately the newspaper notes later that the guy he faced “was only pitching underhanded.” So, you know, if the NL ever decides to adopt slow-pitch softball rules, he’ll probably be an MVP candidate.
Within the Daily News article is a picture of the huge knee brace he’s been wearing and Beltran said, “I probably will need to play with it until my knee recuperates from everything.” Brace or not, he’s unlikely to return before June and will need to avoid further setbacks for that to happen.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 17
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 73
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)