May 4, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Reports last week had Carlos Beltran “not close to returning” from knee surgery, but yesterday the All-Star center fielder told the New York Daily News that he at least plans to begin running by early next week.
Physically, I’m in good shape. I feel strong. When I’m hitting, I feel like I’m hitting good, with power. I’m using my legs, driving the ball. I’m working with a purpose. That’s not the problem. The problem is I couldn’t tolerate some exercises. I’m looking forward to running outside and doing things related to baseball, like in a game. Running is the thing that will dictate everything.
Beltran talking about his hitting sounds encouraging, as does the Daily News‘ description of him “hitting from both sides of the plate and spraying balls all over the outfield” yesterday. Unfortunately the newspaper notes later that the guy he faced “was only pitching underhanded.” So, you know, if the NL ever decides to adopt slow-pitch softball rules, he’ll probably be an MVP candidate.
Within the Daily News article is a picture of the huge knee brace he’s been wearing and Beltran said, “I probably will need to play with it until my knee recuperates from everything.” Brace or not, he’s unlikely to return before June and will need to avoid further setbacks for that to happen.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)