May 4, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Charlie Manuel said Monday afternoon that Brad Lidge wasn’t ready to resume closing yet, but apparently changed his mind following a scoreless inning just a few hours later.
After the game Manuel said:
Tonight he looked ready. His slider was better. His fastball was better. Everything about it was better.
Ryan Madson is set to undergo toe surgery Tuesday, so the path has definitely been cleared for Lidge to reclaim ninth-inning duties in Philadelphia.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)