May 4, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Charlie Manuel said Monday afternoon that Brad Lidge wasn’t ready to resume closing yet, but apparently changed his mind following a scoreless inning just a few hours later.
After the game Manuel said:
Tonight he looked ready. His slider was better. His fastball was better. Everything about it was better.
Ryan Madson is set to undergo toe surgery Tuesday, so the path has definitely been cleared for Lidge to reclaim ninth-inning duties in Philadelphia.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)