May 4, 2010, 7:47 PM EDT
Jair Jurrjens told Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he doesn’t think he will be ready to make his next scheduled start on Saturday.
“If I had to make a decision today, no,” Jurrjens said Tuesday afternoon
before the Braves opened a three-game series with the Nationals. “I
still feel it. I’m not going to risk making it worse by going out there
and trying to do something and miss more than a couple of days. It’s not
Jurrjens left last Thursday’s start against the Cardinals after just one inning due to a strained left hamstring. The Braves hoped that an extra day of rest would do the truck, but considering that Jurrjens doesn’t even think he’d be able to throw a bullpen session in preparation for the outing, it’s time that they formulate a backup plan.
With that in mind, manager Bobby Cox told Rogers that the Braves could look towards a spot-starter like Kris Medlen or Jonny Venters or decide to pluck someone from Triple-A Gwinnett. It doesn’t sound like a DL stint is a consideration for Jurrjens at this time, though that could change if they are forced to make a roster move.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)