May 4, 2010, 7:47 PM EDT
Jair Jurrjens told Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he doesn’t think he will be ready to make his next scheduled start on Saturday.
“If I had to make a decision today, no,” Jurrjens said Tuesday afternoon
before the Braves opened a three-game series with the Nationals. “I
still feel it. I’m not going to risk making it worse by going out there
and trying to do something and miss more than a couple of days. It’s not
Jurrjens left last Thursday’s start against the Cardinals after just one inning due to a strained left hamstring. The Braves hoped that an extra day of rest would do the truck, but considering that Jurrjens doesn’t even think he’d be able to throw a bullpen session in preparation for the outing, it’s time that they formulate a backup plan.
With that in mind, manager Bobby Cox told Rogers that the Braves could look towards a spot-starter like Kris Medlen or Jonny Venters or decide to pluck someone from Triple-A Gwinnett. It doesn’t sound like a DL stint is a consideration for Jurrjens at this time, though that could change if they are forced to make a roster move.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 0
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 34
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 25
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)