Jason Bay is a good neighbor

May 4, 2010, 8:27 AM EDT

Jason Bay swing.jpgJason Bay decided to make Larchmont, New York his in-season home. According to this sweet story in Sunday’s New York Times, he’s the talk of the village. The author’s young son decided to reach out to the superstar slugger:

For his part, Gabriel decided to write Mr. Bay a letter and wrap it
around a baseball. I quote in part: “I am a huge Mets fan (like die-hard
even in the years when they weren’t so good!) Here is a baseball. Can
you sign it and return it to your mailbox this week between 2:25 and
3:15 (so I can retrieve it).” He was going to put it in the Bays’
mailbox, but it was locked, so he stuck the letter and baseball between
boards in their white picket fence.

Yep, you guessed it: a couple of days later the ball was placed back in the fence, signed by Bay. My warm fuzzies over this story will probably last a good while.

Indeed, I like the story so much that I’ll do everything in my power to pretend that sad-sack grownup memorabilia hounds won’t ruin it all by staking out Bay’s home, sticking balls and photos in his fence accompanied by fake letters from “kids” in the hopes that they’ll have new stuff to place on the shelf of their seedy collectibles shops next to their very rare Mary Worth comics.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Don’t tell Joe West about the pacing of Mary Worth comics or we’ll have another International incident. And I don’t think the proprieters of seedy collectibles shops know the secret handshake to get into Larchmont.

2. Joey B - May 4, 2010 at 9:12 AM

“in the hopes that they’ll have new stuff to place on the shelf of their seedy collectibles shops next to their very rare Mary Worth comics.”
    This strikes me as either very sad or very cynical, or both. I haven’t bought much from collectible shops, but they are the sports museums of our times. This is where kids without money can see the cards of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Mickey Mantle from 1955. It’s where adults can buy a set from when they were 14 year’s old and ruminate about the greats from their youth.
    Really, why the need to continually dump on other people? I never collected comic books, but spoke to an avid fan of the early Batman stuff. Sure, he was different, but different in a way that enriched me, if only for an hour.

3. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Now this is the thanks Jason bay gets for doing your kid a favor? now his lawn will be littered with crap, or some kids dream of the same will be ruined because some idiot will be stealing the stuff kids leave out. Alina Tugend, the thanks should have been some brownies, this is the kind of thanks that make players more likely to charge for their signatures. Now more people will know where he lives with his family, which is never good.

4. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 4, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Craig isn’t railing against people who are collectors, it’s the guys who hound players for autographs for profit. For instance, there was a recent article about Strasburg that mentioned how a gross majority of the people who ask for his autograph are adults who try to get him to sign multiple items just to put up for sale.

5. Ross - May 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM

As CPO states…it’s nothing against the collectors. It’s the guys who steal stuff out of locker rooms, get stuff signed just to put it on eBay, etc. Some of these guys are worse than paparazzi.
    Captcha: experience teargas. Wow.

6. Craig Calcaterra - May 4, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Just to follow what Ross and CPO said: I have no problem with collectors and their shops and stuff. I collect things myself and spend a decent bit of time in card shops.
    My beef is with autograph hounds, many of whom happen to be collectors, who constantly bother athletes when they’re just trying to go about their business. It’s kind of sad when you think about it.

7. Joey B - May 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but I see no need to refer to ‘seedy collectible shops’. I don’t collect autographs, don’t see the need, and many of the older ones are forgeries. Having said that, you dump on the collectible shops for no reason. I’d bet dollars to donuts that the autograph hounds that will use kids to collect autographs don’t actually own stores. You’d need 100 Strasbourg autographs a month just to cover the rent.
    I don’t know, it just seemed like a gratuitous insult to me.

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM

The seedy collectible shops are the places of the memorabilia hounds. It’s not the 3rd party seller, it’s the same person who’s doing the hounding.

9. Mark R - May 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I’m surprised no one picked up on the Simpsons reference. Google “very rare Mary Worth comic” and be enlightened.

10. enough already - May 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Your kid would leave a note saying “my daddy saw you in your underwear!” It’d be interesting to see what he stuck in the fence then.

Three legends off to Cooperstown