May 4, 2010, 10:24 AM EDT
Not terribly surprising given that he hasn’t stepped on the mound since winter ball, but at least now it’s official: Escobar will undergo surgery tomorrow to repair a torn capsule in front of his
right shoulder and will miss the rest of the season. Escobar has only pitched in one game since 2007, and earlier this spring waxed philosophical about retirement and stuff, so you have to figure that we’ve seen the last of him in a major league uniform.
For the Mets this was a $1.25 million gamble that went bust. But only financially, as they’ve gotten good performance from Fernando Nieve and Pedro Feliciano, the men pitching the innings Escobar was originally intended to pitch.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)