May 4, 2010, 10:24 AM EDT
Not terribly surprising given that he hasn’t stepped on the mound since winter ball, but at least now it’s official: Escobar will undergo surgery tomorrow to repair a torn capsule in front of his
right shoulder and will miss the rest of the season. Escobar has only pitched in one game since 2007, and earlier this spring waxed philosophical about retirement and stuff, so you have to figure that we’ve seen the last of him in a major league uniform.
For the Mets this was a $1.25 million gamble that went bust. But only financially, as they’ve gotten good performance from Fernando Nieve and Pedro Feliciano, the men pitching the innings Escobar was originally intended to pitch.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12