May 4, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
Kerry Wood had his first rehab start last night and he got hammered, giving up six runs on four hits over two-thirds of an inning for AA Arkron. Wood has an $11 million option for 2011 which vests if he finishes 55
games. Based on how things went last night, I’m going to guess that
option won’t be vesting.
Which isn’t a bad thing for Cleveland, of course. They certainly don’t want to pay Wood that kind of scratch. Indeed, in an ideal world it would take Wood three or four more rehab appearances before he shows he can pitch in the majors, and then when he comes back he’s lights out for, like, three weeks, thereby allowing the Tribe to flip him to someone else.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59