May 4, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
Kerry Wood had his first rehab start last night and he got hammered, giving up six runs on four hits over two-thirds of an inning for AA Arkron. Wood has an $11 million option for 2011 which vests if he finishes 55
games. Based on how things went last night, I’m going to guess that
option won’t be vesting.
Which isn’t a bad thing for Cleveland, of course. They certainly don’t want to pay Wood that kind of scratch. Indeed, in an ideal world it would take Wood three or four more rehab appearances before he shows he can pitch in the majors, and then when he comes back he’s lights out for, like, three weeks, thereby allowing the Tribe to flip him to someone else.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17