Maybe it's not the best time to try to trade Prince Fielder

May 4, 2010, 12:45 PM EST

Prince Fielder headshot.jpgOn Saturday I opined that if the Brewers keep stinking up the joint they should consider trading Prince Fielder.  Ken Rosenthal makes a good point however: it may not be the best time to trade the guy.

Specifically, Rosenthal notes that, of the current contenders, not too many of them need a first baseman. And for those who do, Adiran Gonzalez may prove to be a far more attractive option, simply because he makes far less than Fielder does this year and next ($4.75 million to $10.1 million, respectively).

The Rays, Yankees, Twins, Tigers, Phillies, Cardinals and Rockies are well-set at first base. The Braves could definitely use a Fielder/Gonzalez bat, but they were burned on the Teixeira trade a couple of years ago and aren’t likely to take on that kind of payroll in exchange for the kinds of prospects they’ll have to give up. The Mets could use the offense, but they just promoted their future first baseman and aren’t likely to mess with that (not should they).  The Rangers are not in any position to take on a big salary unless and until their sale is done, which could be tomorrow or could be never.

That leaves the Red Sox, really, who while they’re losing now, could conceivably jump back into things. But one team does not a market make, especially when there’s competition from the Padres. A team that I think, despite the nice record now, is still going to deal Gonzalez because it’s the smart play for the long term.

So, yeah, neat idea I guess, but really, who is going to trade for Prince Fielder this season?

UPDATE: Many of you correctly noted that Fielder would fit just nicely with the Giants. I have no idea how I whiffed on that.  Yes, the Giants could definitely use him.  And with their pitching they match up well with the Brewers as a trade candidate.  The only possible problem with this is that Fielder is still in his 20s, so Brian Sabean would probably send him to Fresno the minute the trade was done so he could get more seasoning.

1. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 1:03 PM

We will see. From what I hear Pujols will get an offer that will set a precedence for big league stars, and when that happens Fielder will be a good deal when compared to that contract, as a matter of fact Ryan Howards deal will look like an even better deal. What I heard is the amount of money Sir Albert gets is going to raise the bar for salary for every superstar hitter regardless of defense. You see it’s already happened in other sports, baseball is next to give huge rewards to greatness. This is why Howard got tied up now, and not 2 years from now. This is what a little birdie told me anyway. You see the Phills know this is coming and wanted to protect themselves from a soon to come glory day for star caliber sluggers. we will see.

2. Old Gator - May 4, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The Heyward Child for Fielder, straight up. Whaddya think? Then the Braves can go on sheltering their EYPs till the cows come home. In Wisconsin, I mean, where there are so many of the damned things.

3. Dave - May 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Trading Adrian Gonzalez may make the most baseball sense at some point, but keeping him around and signing him to an extension likely makes the most business sense. He’s the only draw on that team and at a certain point ownership needs to prove to the fan base it’s interested in fielding a competitive team

4. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM

And yet, the Sox have Youkilis at first and Beltre at 3rd. So the only spot for either Fielder or Gonzalez would be at DH and you have the $11M corpse of Ortiz there. If the Sox wait until the offseason (lose Ortiz and possibly Beltre) to try and grab either one, the trade loses some of it’s value since it’s only a year left rather than 1.5 years.

5. Tom H. - May 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM

How exactly are the Rockies set a 1B? Helton/Giambi? If this were 1998, that would be true.

6. KENNY POWERS - May 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Way to include the Giants as a contender who need a first baseman. Wow!!!! Either you think Aubrey Huff is actually a good player… (which he is not) Or you have no respect for a Giants team that was in it unil September last season. How can a team that has the best starting pitching in baseball, the best bullpen in baseball & some of the worst hitting in baseball not be included on your list of teams who can use Prince Fielder? The Giants also have one of the best farm systems in baseball. And since when are the Rangers & Mets considered contenders before a team such as the Giants. I guess winning 2-1 & 3-2 is less exciting than losing 10-9.

7. BC - May 4, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Why not the Angels?

8. Matt M - May 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Totally agree. And that doesn’t even take into consideration the fact that Mike Lowell, a perfectly serviceable corner IF/DH type is riding the pine unless the other team starts a lefty. I don’t see the Red Sox as a player for either Gonzalez or Fielder, especially considering they’re right at the threshold of the luxury tax.

9. Doug - May 4, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I think you may also have to throw the White Sox in the mix. While not really a “contender” as of today – I think they could be really interested in the guy especially if Konerko walks this season. Would love to see Gordon Beckham and Gavin Floyd plus a few other prospects come to the Brewers for Fielder.

10. Andy L - May 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Giants.

11. Doug - May 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Well the Brewers need pitching, pitching and then some more pitching. They look pretty good prospect wise as far as position players go – it’s just that there are no “can’t miss” pitching prospects on the horizon. The paste and spackle job Melvin has done on the rotation the last few years has obviously not done the trick – he needs some major league ready pitching prospects if he is going to flip Prince. I suspect that trade will happen by the deadline if the Brewers are out of the race or during this coming off season. While the Milwaukee franchise has returned to respectability they are having a difficult time getting over the hump to the next level – and I think trading Prince will give them the players to get to that next level.

12. scatterbrian - May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I always thought Ike Davis was a good prospect, but not really a future star. Wouldn’t he be a good starting point in a trade for Fielder?

13. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Giants? Are they ready to become the Heaviest offense in baseball? They already have Panda and Molina. Add Fielder and they actually outweigh the competition. Shoot those three alone will weigh as much as the opposing team plus their bullpen!!!

14. Pete - May 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM

The Mariners. They need a big bat in the worst way, and Jack Z came from the Brewers org, so there’s a level of trust in dealing. Plus he knows their system. I thought there was a chance it could get done last off-season.

15. Benny Blanco - May 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Way to make yourself feel better about the deal Jonny5. But will you continue to sing that song when your team has trouble signing other players? Werth especially.
    I know its hard for you to accept, but Pujols will get more $ because he is a more complete player. Dont get me wrong either, I think Howard is a good player surrounded by several other good to great players. But out of all the teams Craig just mentioned, who do honestly think would pay Howard $25 million a year to play 1st base at 35 years old?

16. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM

No sheeit sherlock Holmes, Pujols is way better because of many reasons, it’s still going to raise the bar for every superstar. Just because I’m a Philly fan you think I’m not honest with myself and reality, please give me more credit will ya? What I said was Puljos will push the bar higher for everyone, I never said Howard was worth as much, c’mon read with comprehension. And an answer to your question I think The Bosox would pick him up for that. As a matter of fact that could be where Prince ends up. As far as Werth is concerned? I’m confident the Phillies have a plan in place to keep him, and the fact that the Howard deal was imminent as well as Werth, lends more credence to the budget concerns that sent Lee to seattle. They couldn’t keep Halladay, Lee, Howard, Werth. Which one do we say bye bye to??? Lee goes.

17. Doug - May 4, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Not sure what Seattle has in the way of pitching prospects but I could definately see that happening.

18. Benny Blanco - May 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM

But keep Blanton for 10 mill. Resources well spent. You seem confident Werth will be retained, i’ll give you that. Only time will tell if your little birdie is correct.
    And thanks for the reading comprehension lesson professor.

19. Pandamonium - May 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

The reason Prince Fielder will not be a Giant this year.

20. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Lol!!! Anytime, and I do think Blanton is worth his contract. Don’t start Harshing “Moose” on me now. As far as the little Birdie, well that was Amaro, through an interview. And yes, I’ve been saying it from the get-go as I myself am in shock and Awe over Howards Deal, only time will tell if it was worth it or not. I will automatically say, If they can’t retain Werth the Howard contract was a bad deal, as I think he’s actually more valuable to the team.

21. Joey B - May 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I agree. It’s all about marginal improvement. I figure Fielder would contribute about 100 points in OPS over what a Lowell/Hermida/Papi platoon will give us. Nice, but at an exorbitant cost. I’d be perfectly happy picking up one or two BP arms at a fraction of that cost.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5317)