May 4, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
On Saturday I opined that if the Brewers keep stinking up the joint they should consider trading Prince Fielder. Ken Rosenthal makes a good point however: it may not be the best time to trade the guy.
Specifically, Rosenthal notes that, of the current contenders, not too many of them need a first baseman. And for those who do, Adiran Gonzalez may prove to be a far more attractive option, simply because he makes far less than Fielder does this year and next ($4.75 million to $10.1 million, respectively).
The Rays, Yankees, Twins, Tigers, Phillies, Cardinals and Rockies are well-set at first base. The Braves could definitely use a Fielder/Gonzalez bat, but they were burned on the Teixeira trade a couple of years ago and aren’t likely to take on that kind of payroll in exchange for the kinds of prospects they’ll have to give up. The Mets could use the offense, but they just promoted their future first baseman and aren’t likely to mess with that (not should they). The Rangers are not in any position to take on a big salary unless and until their sale is done, which could be tomorrow or could be never.
That leaves the Red Sox, really, who while they’re losing now, could conceivably jump back into things. But one team does not a market make, especially when there’s competition from the Padres. A team that I think, despite the nice record now, is still going to deal Gonzalez because it’s the smart play for the long term.
So, yeah, neat idea I guess, but really, who is going to trade for Prince Fielder this season?
UPDATE: Many of you correctly noted that Fielder would fit just nicely with the Giants. I have no idea how I whiffed on that. Yes, the Giants could definitely use him. And with their pitching they match up well with the Brewers as a trade candidate. The only possible problem with this is that Fielder is still in his 20s, so Brian Sabean would probably send him to Fresno the minute the trade was done so he could get more seasoning.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 140
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (140)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)