May 4, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com provides an interesting wrinkle on the Bryce Harper-Nationals connection, as the club is working to sign College of Southern Nevada coach Tim Chambers as an “associate scout.”
Nationals assistant general manager Roy Clark insists that the potential hiring is unrelated to Harper, pointing out that he previously employed Chambers when he worked with the Braves organization.
“I promise you, I never heard of Harper when I hired (Chambers) 10 years
It’s an interesting note, but I was pretty confident the Nationals were going to select Harper with the No. 1 pick approximately 30 seconds before reading this article.
As you recall, just yesterday a “source” told Heyman that Harper — who is currently being “advised” by Scott Boras — will seek to break the record $15.67 million bonus the Nationals gave to Stephen Strasburg last year.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 45
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)