May 4, 2010, 10:01 PM EST
Jon Heyman of SI.com provides an interesting wrinkle on the Bryce Harper-Nationals connection, as the club is working to sign College of Southern Nevada coach Tim Chambers as an “associate scout.”
Nationals assistant general manager Roy Clark insists that the potential hiring is unrelated to Harper, pointing out that he previously employed Chambers when he worked with the Braves organization.
“I promise you, I never heard of Harper when I hired (Chambers) 10 years
It’s an interesting note, but I was pretty confident the Nationals were going to select Harper with the No. 1 pick approximately 30 seconds before reading this article.
As you recall, just yesterday a “source” told Heyman that Harper — who is currently being “advised” by Scott Boras — will seek to break the record $15.67 million bonus the Nationals gave to Stephen Strasburg last year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)