Ron Washington gets ejected . . . for some reason

May 4, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT

Ron Washington argues.jpgRich Harden fielded a chopper to the mound in the second inning of last night’s Rangers-Athletics game. He ran it back to the bag himself, beating Eric Chavez by a mile.  Chavez was called out. Problem: based on the video, Harden did not appear to touch the bag. The umpires conferred after the call and the first base umpire’s original call of safe was overturned. Correctly, it would appear.

This, not surprisingly,caused Ron Washington to come out and argue the call. Despite being ejected just this past Friday, Washington does not have a reputation as a combustible manager. His argument, which you can also see in the linked video, also seems subdued.  So why the ejection? According to crew chief Joe West, Washington was ejected because managers “are not allowed to argue
after the umpires confer on a call.”

Um, OK.  This is nothing I’ve ever heard before. I mean, on some level I can understand it if a manager argues, gets the umpires to confer, they confer and the call that caused all the trouble is upheld, because at that point the manager is really no longer trying to persuade as much as he is just bitching.

But that’s not what happened here. Washington had a favorable call overturned, and he was arguing the overturning in the first instance. This was Washington’s beef after the game when he said “Bobby Geren can argue and I can’t argue?”

I’m with you Ron. I mean, you were wrong because Rich Harden clearly didn’t touch first base, but it seems like you’re just as entitled to argue a call as the next guy, and that’s all you were doing.

1. Ross - May 4, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Yet, at the same time, I’ve seen double plays turned where the SS/2B was standing 2 feet off the bag (or standing over the bag without actually touching it) and the runner is called out and nobody says a word. All I ask is that the rules are enforced consistently.

2. Anon - May 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM

The worst thing that happened to baseball in the past decade or so was when an arbitrator forced MLB to rehire a bunch of umpires who had quit in a labor dispute. One of them was Joe West, the worst umpire in MLB.

3. palehose67 - May 4, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Abd then Joe West tasered Ron Washington….

4. palehose67 - May 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM

…and the Joe West tasered Ron Washington.

5. Dennis - May 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Umpire Joe West is getting too involved in the games.
    A few weeks ago he was complaining the games were going on too long. It seems Mr West does not think he should work more than three hours a day. He should try working in a coal mine for eight to twelve hours a day or holding down a factory job.
    Now he doesn’t like a manager standing up for his team when another manager got his ‘beef’ on the record. I think Mr West wants to do away with manager’s contesting a decision to get him out of the ball park and into the restaurant earlier.

6. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Joe West’s neck has a beer belly.

7. Bull Durham - May 4, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Isn’t the whole concept of managers arguing calls out on the field kind of ridiculous and outdated? I can understand arguing an interpretation of the rules but arguments such as:
    “He was out!”
    “No he wasn’t!”
    “Yes he was!”
    are completely useless and juvenile. I don’t know why they are still permitted on any level.

8. BC - May 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Joe West’s stretch marks have stretch marks.
    West is an embarrasment to the game. He’s graded poorly for years, shoots his mouth off and is serious combative. Should have been canned years ago.
    Captcha: we tangoed

9. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Don’t you understand, fans like Old Gator will defend these inane arguments and say they are part of the game. Letting someone like Ozzie Guillen argue for 5+ min after being tossed is something we have to live with. However, adding 30 sec for instant replay to get the call right will make the games “too long”.

10. Chris W - May 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Well at least C.O.T.P.O and Bull Durham aren’t being reductionist or anything

11. Old Gator - May 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Now now, I have never defended managers for behaving like petulant schoolchildren. I have had far too much experience with petulant schoolchildren myself. Mostly university students on athletic scholarships. You know. Schoolchildren. I admit that there might be some experientially rooted bias in this, but there you have it. Until you’ve wasted 45 minutes of class time arguing with a hulking kid who grew up in a household full of relict cold war dinosaurs from a large island mere paddling distance south of here which must remain nameless at Craig’s request that he shouldn’t be forced to read One Hundred Years of Solitude along with everybody else in the class because its author, only the most important literary artist ever produced by Latin America, was “a Communist” (I capitalize that, he wouldn’t have) and pal of the jefe of said unnamed island whom the foreign policy maniacally supported by this kid and his antique forebears has preserved in power for 50 years, thereby setting the alltime record for geopolitical futility, you have no right to call my biases into question. Schoolchildren are horrible. Any children are horrible, actually. Put them in a manager’s uniform and they become more horrible yet. Discipline and punish, say sweet Foucault and I.
    I have defended blown calls as part of the game. To dismiss the essentiality of the blown call to the game of baseball is as ridiculous as Einstein’s alleged comment that God does not play dice with the universe. The manager who argues against an umpire’s call is farting in the face of reality. They be ejected and should be fined the first time, ejected and suspended and fined even more heavily the second time, and for a third infraction, ejected, suspended, fined to the point of bleeding and forced not only to read Richard Feynman’s Lectures on Physics in its entirety but to pass a very detailed three hour exam on it for which they are not permitted to use anything but their fingers to count on. If baseball would just crack down in this manner, Bobby Cox would have taken his shitty attitude and left baseball to manage Brookhaven National Laboratory years ago.
    Joe West is a bloated buffoon. If you’re going to be ejected by an umpire, at least be ejected by a competent umpire.
    Have I made my position clear?

12. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 4, 2010 at 12:24 PM

And why do managers argue against an umpire’s call? What would prevent the need for managers to argue…

13. scatterbrian - May 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM

That made my morning. OK, coffee made my morning, but that’s still pretty funny.

14. Chris Simonds - May 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Oh, Gator. Let’s see here. Starting with Joe West and Ron Washington, you took us to your career as a teacher, then to Gabriel Garcia Marquez, US foreign policy towards Cuba, your dislike of many of your former students, a peremptory dismissal of one metaphysical assumption perhaps held by an Austrian physicist, a French philosopher, an American physicist, a summary judgment of Bobby Cox’s attitude over a long career, and an odd feint at name dropping a research laboratory instead of yet another item from what appears to be a long maintained and well used list of intellectual celebrities. So no, you have not made your position clear (I think parading your erudition got in the way a little) but it seems like you may have stated it in the very first sentence. Am I right about that?

15. Seth - May 4, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Joe West must be wrong because he’s overweight. Can anyone argue with that kind of logic?

16. Old Gator - May 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM

This ain’t about needin’, Church. Perhaps an exercise in continence might make those managerial howls of execration unnecessary. I mean, Einstein didn’t walk up to Nils Bohr at Copenhagen and scream in his face in broken English, did he? No. Umpires will continue to insinuate the element of caprice into baseball, which is their divine right. Managers just ought to be brought up better.
    Replying to comment from Chris Simonds: Einstein was German by birth, renounced his citizenship as a teenager and grew up in Switzerland. Just FYI. I know Germans, Swiss and Austrians all look alike, but sometimes you have to probe a little more deeply. Aside from that, the order of discussion went something like this: I took you from Joe West and Ron Washington to my career as a teacher, my dislike of some of my students, then to my dislike of some aspects of large-nameless-island-American culture, then to Gabo, then to US foreign policy towards large-nameless-island, then to a French philosopher, and only then to a peremptory dismissal of the theories of a German-Swiss physicist, thence to a bongo playing Far Rockaway-American physicist (this qualification is important), and only then on to Bobby Cox’s attitude and to Brookhaven, on whose grounds I used to collect tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum) when I was a horrible child myself. Placed back in its original, tightly integrated argumentative sequence in rebuttal to certain apocryphal accusations made by Church of the Perpetually Outraged, the entire discussion is not only rhetorically consistent but tightly interrelated and crystal clear.
    So no, I’m afraid you’re not quite right. It may be that your incipient dyslexia got in the way of your understanding it, perhaps even moreso than my erudition did.

17. Chris Simonds - May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Oooooo. Nasty. You have a lot of anger my friend.
    captcha: and stormily

18. Ron - May 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Interpretation of the rules is a judgement call. Arguing a judgment call is an automatic ejection. That’s in the rule book.
    That’s why all the umpires have different strike zones, because they ‘interpret’ the zone differently. There is no interpretation of the runner or fielder touching the base. He either did, or didn’t.
    It’s easy to speculate, but watching the video, Washington did get a little heated at the end. My guess would be that he wasn’t mad that the call was overturned, but that West originally missed it from such a close distance. You have to wonder if the phrase “lard ass moving at glacial speed moving into position” was used.

19. Buffalo - Chris - May 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM

BREAKING NEWS ALERT
    Joe West’s neck just gave birth to the New KFC Ckhicken Sandwich! Oh wait, it was Twins! Congradulations Joe West, Gooble-Gooble LOL :-)

20. Old Gator - May 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Naaahhh, just one of my narrators. Another interchangeable pose. But don’t be fooled by the obvious; I always put my fist through the monitor as part of my morning yoga sequence.

21. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Maybe that thing on Joe wests neck isn’t a beer belly???? hmmm? Maybe it’s the beginning of this? http://www.milesteves.com/gallery/d/419-2/Quatto-72.jpg If it’s Quatto making the calls than his behavior makes more sense. “Open your mind, open your mind”

22. GenevieveChristensen - Jun 10, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I had got a dream to make my own commerce, but I did not earn enough amount of money to do that. Thank heaven my fellow said to utilize the lowest-rate-loans.com. Thence I received the small business loan and realized my dream.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3782)