May 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
What’s that you ask? Why, a comparison between Stephen Strasburg and Mark Prior, which is what Rob Neyer is offering today.
It’s not a scary comparison — he’s talking about their brief minor league tracks, not mechanics or injuries or anything — but it’s an unsettling reference all the same. One that makes you realize, if only for a moment, that, thanks to injures and cruel damn fate, there really is no such thing as a pitching prospect.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)