May 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
What’s that you ask? Why, a comparison between Stephen Strasburg and Mark Prior, which is what Rob Neyer is offering today.
It’s not a scary comparison — he’s talking about their brief minor league tracks, not mechanics or injuries or anything — but it’s an unsettling reference all the same. One that makes you realize, if only for a moment, that, thanks to injures and cruel damn fate, there really is no such thing as a pitching prospect.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)