May 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
What’s that you ask? Why, a comparison between Stephen Strasburg and Mark Prior, which is what Rob Neyer is offering today.
It’s not a scary comparison — he’s talking about their brief minor league tracks, not mechanics or injuries or anything — but it’s an unsettling reference all the same. One that makes you realize, if only for a moment, that, thanks to injures and cruel damn fate, there really is no such thing as a pitching prospect.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)