The Mariners are looking for offense, but no one is dealing

May 4, 2010, 2:26 PM EST

Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik says that he’s looking to improve the M’s anemic offense, but there’s just nothing happening out there:

I’ve made a tremendous amount of
phone calls. I continue to make phone calls. I’ve made several
phone calls in the last three or four days. But
it’s like hunting season. It’s not hunting season right now.
Nobody’s selling.”

Add Seattle to the Prince Fielder pile, I guess.

More important, though, is for all of us to think back and figure out how no one was screaming particularly loudly about just how bad this Mariners offense was over the winter. Because it’s not like someone is just cratering or anything. Just about all of their hitters are performing within the realm of the possible, as viewed back in December or January. I largely missed this too, at least until I started thinking hard about the team for the season previews in March.

Lots of light in Seattle this past offeseason. Very little heat, though.

1. JayT - May 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM

They should see if Barry Bonds is still in playing shape. I have no doubt that right now he could out hit Griffey and Sweeney.
    I wonder if they have offered Jermaine Dye anything yet?

2. TMW - May 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Would Texas deal Chris Davis inside the division?

3. Jonny5 - May 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM

They should call Philly and ask for Ibanez back, I bet they’d deal him and maybe eat some of his contract.
    Captcha : moscow reappeared
    Now i know for a fact that Craig generates these

4. ecp - May 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Jermaine Dye has said he’s not going to a crummy team, or to a team unwilling to pay him big bucks. I’ll leave it to others to decide if either or both of these points apply to the Mariners.
    Let’s see…The Royals would love to unload Jose Guillen and they’ll eat the bulk of his contract too…

5. BC - May 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM

If they wait a little bit, they might be able to steal Adam Dunn in a rent-a-player move.

6. Jimmy P - May 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM

This has to happen. Jose Guillen AND Milton Bradley on one team? If this does happen, bring Carl Everett out of retirement and film a reality show.

7. The Common Man - May 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM

The Mariners will be the dark horse in the Adrian Gonzalez derby, once the Pads start to regress. Michael Saunders and Mike Carp will be part of the deal.
    ReCaptcha: “attributable squinter”

8. IdahoMariner - May 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

um, Craig? “no one is just cratering”? Yikes. They are certainly NOT hitting like one would expect. Only Ichiro is where he usually is (he even spared us a couple of weeks of his usually cold, cold, April), Gutierrez is a bit above where we expected….everyone else? there isn’t another player over a .243 avg, Rob Johnson and Figgins join those two in have the decent OBP but the rest of the team is .325, .305, .286 … these are sad, sad sub-par numbers from guys who could do better. No one is a homerun hitter, but no one expected a sustained April of suck from so many hitters who ought to do better.

9. carlos - May 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM

“Lots of light in Seattle this past offeseason. Very little heat, though.”
    Craig, you already used this analogy when you bashed the M’s in spring training. Let’s dig a little dipper and come up with another way of saying “they made some big name moves in the off season but not enough to make them contenders”.
    Here in the NW we’re just happy to have a decent team to root for. No expectations, especially this early in the season.

10. ecp - May 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM

“…these are sad, sad sub-par numbers from guys who could do better.”
    The keyword here is “could” do better. As in, not “should” do better. Craig said the M’s hitting is within the realm of the possible and that they are not cratering, but you feel this not to be the case. Well, sorry…Expecting this group to do better as a whole, and to a man? I hate to say it, because I’m a fan of a crummy team myself and believe me, I’ve been there with hopes and dreams, but it was really a pipe dream to expect more to those who were viewing the Mariners objectively. Last year was a vast overachievement and there wasn’t enough change to the offense to predict anything other than regression.

11. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 5, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I wonder that too. I’m thinking if Seattle offers enough (a mid-level pitching prospect) for Chris Davis, they could get it done.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester