May 5, 2010, 7:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: The MRI revealed “mild left elbow inflammation,” according to MLB.com beat writer Bryan Hoch. Pettitte will be evaluated daily and could be forced to miss his next scheduled start. A short stay on the 15-day disabled list is also a possibility.
* * * * * * * * * *
5:10pm: Andy Pettitte pitched reasonably well against the Orioles in today’s 7-5 win today — he went five innings and gave up a single run — but he had to leave after those five innings due to stiffness in his left elbow. That’s his money-makin’ elbow, so the Yankees aren’t messing around with it: he’s been sent
for an MRI.
We likely won’t know anything about his status until tomorrow. Sergio Mitre came in to relieve him today. You’d have to figure that he’d be the guy to take over Pettitte’s spot in the rotation should he have to miss any time.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (82)