May 5, 2010, 7:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: The MRI revealed “mild left elbow inflammation,” according to MLB.com beat writer Bryan Hoch. Pettitte will be evaluated daily and could be forced to miss his next scheduled start. A short stay on the 15-day disabled list is also a possibility.
* * * * * * * * * *
5:10pm: Andy Pettitte pitched reasonably well against the Orioles in today’s 7-5 win today — he went five innings and gave up a single run — but he had to leave after those five innings due to stiffness in his left elbow. That’s his money-makin’ elbow, so the Yankees aren’t messing around with it: he’s been sent
for an MRI.
We likely won’t know anything about his status until tomorrow. Sergio Mitre came in to relieve him today. You’d have to figure that he’d be the guy to take over Pettitte’s spot in the rotation should he have to miss any time.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 3
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 36
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)