May 5, 2010, 7:09 PM EDT
UPDATE: The MRI revealed “mild left elbow inflammation,” according to MLB.com beat writer Bryan Hoch. Pettitte will be evaluated daily and could be forced to miss his next scheduled start. A short stay on the 15-day disabled list is also a possibility.
* * * * * * * * * *
5:10pm: Andy Pettitte pitched reasonably well against the Orioles in today’s 7-5 win today — he went five innings and gave up a single run — but he had to leave after those five innings due to stiffness in his left elbow. That’s his money-makin’ elbow, so the Yankees aren’t messing around with it: he’s been sent
for an MRI.
We likely won’t know anything about his status until tomorrow. Sergio Mitre came in to relieve him today. You’d have to figure that he’d be the guy to take over Pettitte’s spot in the rotation should he have to miss any time.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105