Bradley to Mariners: "I need your help"

May 5, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT

bradley high-fiving.jpgUPDATE:  MLB.com’s Peter Gammons received a text from Bradley on Wednesday night stating: Any reports I said
I’m packing up and leaving are 100% fabricated.”
  It should come as no surprise.  He may be an abrasive man, but he’s not going to leave $21 million on the table.

9:49pm: As Craig chronicled earlier, Milton Bradley left the Mariners’ clubhouse in the middle of Tuesday night’s game after an altercation with the home plate umpire and, eventually, Seattle manager Don Wakamatsu.  On Wednesday Bradley took the first step in making up for that childish and immature act, asking the Mariners for “help” with his issues.

It’s good to hear that Bradley is beginning to recognize that the problems that have plagued him throughout his career are mostly of his own fault, and that there are people rooting for him to succeed.  The Mariners have done nothing but treat him with graciousness and respect, rescuing him from a volatile situation in Chicago and giving him an opportunity to play every day while other teams scoffed at the idea.

Of course, we can’t assume that a new leaf has been turned because we’ve all seen Bradley burn faithful organizations in the past.  He needs to commit to playing the game of baseball with a level of calmness and respect — the same kind of respect that Wakamatsu and Co. have shown him this season.  He also needs to make a conscious effort to fix whatever causes him to act out, whether through therapy, medication or both.  Bradley has undoubtedly gone through required psychotherapy in the past, but it’s time for him to take it seriously and accept that changes need to be made.  Contrary to what the fans of Wrigley Field might think, the guy is not incapable of righting the wrongs in his own life.

Bradley, who just turned 32, has a .214 batting average, a .313 on-base percentage and seven extra-base hits in 70 at-bats this season.  He was not in Wednesday’s lineup and may be asked to sit out until the weekend to allow further time for reflection.

1. Xpensive Wino - May 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Read the entire ESPN story.
    The dude is nuts. This is no quick fix.

2. davidc45629 - May 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM

3. Craig - May 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM

davidc-what kind of comment is that? Is there some context that I cannot see that does not make you a racist?

4. SoakingInSeattle - May 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Yes, it’s a well known fact there are no white guys or Latinos with emotional issues.

5. Jeff - May 6, 2010 at 12:07 AM

David, you are a racist moron.

6. Old Gator - May 6, 2010 at 12:24 AM

And people wonder why we send cretins to school, too. A waste of Federal aid if you’re indicative of what a slightly educated cretin sounds like.

7. Pshrg - May 6, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Hey, davidc45629, don’t forget: It’s your turn to take the white hoods to the dry cleaners after the cross-burning tonight. The last guy didn’t take ‘em to the right place and they turned out a little grey. And you KNOW how the Grand Wizard hates that.

8. Moses Green - May 6, 2010 at 5:21 AM

9. aMiltonBradleyFan - May 6, 2010 at 6:34 AM

David C in Franklin Furnace, Ohio.
    You are a racist soul. Why the hate Bro?
    Life is too short, don’t p1$$ it away.
    WS

10. Jonny5 - May 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM

“And people wonder why blacks make up only 9% of major leaguers? Oh, I’m sorry, 8.9%.”
    And I was going to say it’s because of the total lack of baseball reference in rap videos…. Anyway, David, Duke I presume?
    Well, this Milton Bradley character here, he’s finally said something I can respect. I hope this is his turning point. Not that I don’t expect to hear more about this guy, possibly doing something else insane, but there’s always hope.

11. Joey B - May 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Amen to that. I have about 4 million obligations to take care of, and about 4 million opportunities to take advantage of. Why would any sane person waste their precious time on Earth trying to belittle other groups. Better that we all rise together than we all sink together.

12. Joey B - May 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM

“I know I’m pulling for him. As to the source of his anger, I don’t know that we have to dig too deeply this time.
    It’s good to hear that he’s Sorry for his latest dustup. Sometimes we all need a little help in The Game of Life, and kudos to him for asking.”
    LOL! A ‘little’ help? I don’t want to mention names (me), but some of us have lead fairly irresponsible lives, and only by whatever God you believe in’s infinite patience have survived.
    I’m glad to see that he realizes that things aren’t exactly working out for him. It doesn’t matter how many times you fall down. The only thing in life that matters is how many times you get back up. Good luck Milton.

13. ed-dough - May 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Milton Bradley is nuts, but if he gets better he can apologize to the city of Chicago for calling them racist because he was having a lousy year. Jim Hendry of the Cubs is also nuts because he signed Milton Bradley…unfortunately there is no hope for Jim Hendry.

14. pj - May 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM

“It’s good to hear that he’s Sorry for his latest dustup. Sometimes we all need a little help in The Game of Life, and kudos to him for asking. It’s not like he has some kind of Monopoly on giving his manager a Headache. Also, Seattle knew what kind of Risk they were taking up front. They signed M.B. warts and all, they knew they weren’t looking at Perfection.”
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
    All games by Milton Bradley
    Sorry
    Game of Life
    Monopoly
    Headache
    Risk
    Perfection

15. m'sfanforlife - May 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Sometimes all it takes is showing that you care about a person and not the way the hit the ball. I am sure he will come around and be back into the swing of things before too long.

16. Pony - May 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM

It is a simple fact most American kids today cannot play baseball after they reach high school because of the cost. It is getting to the point that only rich kids are going to afford the game in years to come as to the cost most high schools charge to play. Here in Florida where I live the cost of a kid to play baseball at the high school level is around $ 400.00 to $ 800.00 they must pay the high school team. Now that does not cover other cost they must pay on top of that money. Now how can any family justify that type expense for a child to play a game? A lot of the kids who want to play baseball cannot and turn to other sports with less cost to their families.

17. willboy2 - May 6, 2010 at 1:39 PM

David and HIS idiocy aside, last year Milton pissed the whole city of Chicago off (not just Cub fans) with his behavior and mouth. I don’t care what he does, he’ll get no sympathy from me. I must be a racist, right?

18. Nasty Boy - May 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM

“I need your help” This move should be applauded . He is a very troubled soul . Hopefully he is serious and gets on a program . This won’t be an overnight fix . I’m pulling for him , and I hope he gets on the road to complete recovery .

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate