May 5, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
And may have cost the Reds the game.
Phillips had already hit a homer off John Maine last night. In the third inning he hit another blast. Only problems: (a) it didn’t go out of the park; and (b) Phillips admired his handiwork with a casual trot out of the batter’s box and wound up with a double. Dusty Baker said after the game that he thought it should have been a triple. Based on balls I’ve seen hit to that part of the Great American Ballpark in the past, I’d have to agree.
This was huge, because Joey Votto came to bat next and hit a deep fly to left field which would have scored Phillps had be been standing on third. The Reds ended up losing the game by one.
You’d figure that Phillips would get benched or something for this, but it sounds like Dusty Baker is treating him like the parents on 1980s sitcoms treated their kids:
“He’s been talked to about this. We’ve talked to
Brandon quite often. I guess he’s better than he used to be. We’re trying to get him to
the point where he can be a big difference maker every day. He certainly
has the skill and ability. What’s tough as a manager is when you’ve got an A student who’s
I haven’t seen “tough love” like that since “Growing Pains” went off the air. Wait, that’s not true. I think even even Mike Seaver would’ve gotten grounded over a boner like that.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)