May 5, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
And may have cost the Reds the game.
Phillips had already hit a homer off John Maine last night. In the third inning he hit another blast. Only problems: (a) it didn’t go out of the park; and (b) Phillips admired his handiwork with a casual trot out of the batter’s box and wound up with a double. Dusty Baker said after the game that he thought it should have been a triple. Based on balls I’ve seen hit to that part of the Great American Ballpark in the past, I’d have to agree.
This was huge, because Joey Votto came to bat next and hit a deep fly to left field which would have scored Phillps had be been standing on third. The Reds ended up losing the game by one.
You’d figure that Phillips would get benched or something for this, but it sounds like Dusty Baker is treating him like the parents on 1980s sitcoms treated their kids:
“He’s been talked to about this. We’ve talked to
Brandon quite often. I guess he’s better than he used to be. We’re trying to get him to
the point where he can be a big difference maker every day. He certainly
has the skill and ability. What’s tough as a manager is when you’ve got an A student who’s
I haven’t seen “tough love” like that since “Growing Pains” went off the air. Wait, that’s not true. I think even even Mike Seaver would’ve gotten grounded over a boner like that.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)