May 5, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
Braves starter Jair Jurrjens has been placed on the
disabled list with a strained left hamstring. He actually did it last Thursday and had been hoping it was but a scratch — a flesh wound, if you will — but it’s not getting better.
Atlanta will move Kris Medlen, who has a 2.70 ERA and 15/3 K/BB
ratio in 11 relief appearances, into Jurrjens spot in the rotation. Medlen is a starter by trade and if there is any justice in the world he’ll be staying around the rotation to replace Kenshin Kawakami or Derek Lowe after Jurrjens comes back. No, the Braves aren’t likely to make such a move based on Lowe or Kawakami’s performance. I’m just hoping that they each come down with some kind of malady that is serious enough to keep them from pitching but does not affect their health in any other way and goes away the exact moment their contracts with the Braves expire, allowing them to happily ply their trade for other teams.
Craig Kimbrel will be called up from
Gwinnett to take Jurrjens’ place on the roster. Kimbrel has a ton of velocity and many people figure he could close one day, but he has a ton of control issues too. At this point he is best deployed to bean the opposing team’s mascot at key strategic points in close ballgames.
Oh, and at this point I feel it necessary to apologize to Jason from IIATMS for telling him this spring that he should keep Jurrjens on his fantasy team because he’s “straight money” or some such nonsense. But then again, what did he expect me to say?
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)