May 5, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
Braves starter Jair Jurrjens has been placed on the
disabled list with a strained left hamstring. He actually did it last Thursday and had been hoping it was but a scratch — a flesh wound, if you will — but it’s not getting better.
Atlanta will move Kris Medlen, who has a 2.70 ERA and 15/3 K/BB
ratio in 11 relief appearances, into Jurrjens spot in the rotation. Medlen is a starter by trade and if there is any justice in the world he’ll be staying around the rotation to replace Kenshin Kawakami or Derek Lowe after Jurrjens comes back. No, the Braves aren’t likely to make such a move based on Lowe or Kawakami’s performance. I’m just hoping that they each come down with some kind of malady that is serious enough to keep them from pitching but does not affect their health in any other way and goes away the exact moment their contracts with the Braves expire, allowing them to happily ply their trade for other teams.
Craig Kimbrel will be called up from
Gwinnett to take Jurrjens’ place on the roster. Kimbrel has a ton of velocity and many people figure he could close one day, but he has a ton of control issues too. At this point he is best deployed to bean the opposing team’s mascot at key strategic points in close ballgames.
Oh, and at this point I feel it necessary to apologize to Jason from IIATMS for telling him this spring that he should keep Jurrjens on his fantasy team because he’s “straight money” or some such nonsense. But then again, what did he expect me to say?
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)