May 5, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
After hitting .215 with a lowly .561 OPS through 22 games, Yunel Escobar was placed on the disabled list Tuesday because of a strained groin.
Atlanta called up 24-year-old prospect Brandon Hicks from Triple-A to take his roster spot, but he’s little more than a utility man after putting up terrible numbers in the minors, including hitting just .237 with a .695 OPS at Double-A and .179 in 25 games at Triple-A.
Omar Infante started at shortstop for the fourth straight game last night.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (77)