May 5, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
After hitting .215 with a lowly .561 OPS through 22 games, Yunel Escobar was placed on the disabled list Tuesday because of a strained groin.
Atlanta called up 24-year-old prospect Brandon Hicks from Triple-A to take his roster spot, but he’s little more than a utility man after putting up terrible numbers in the minors, including hitting just .237 with a .695 OPS at Double-A and .179 in 25 games at Triple-A.
Omar Infante started at shortstop for the fourth straight game last night.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)