It's time for the Red Sox to cut ties with David Ortiz

May 5, 2010, 8:17 AM EDT

David Ortiz strikeout.jpgAlready platooning with Mike Lowell because he can’t hit lefties, Big Papi is now seemingly unable to hit righties too.  His line last night was ugly:  0-for-4, with two strikeouts and two double plays. As I mentioned in this morning’s recaps, the second double play came with the game tied 1-1, the based juiced and no one out.  See the fail of it all here.

Ortiz now sits at .149/.240/.358.  And actually, he’s hitting worse against the righties than he is the lefties (.614 vs. 694 OPS, respectively).  He’s been atrocious with runners in scoring position (.356 OPS).  He has brought absolutely nothing to the table this season sans a butt in a roster slot that Mike Lowell’s excellent hitting — .317/.391/.512, including a pinch-hit RBI double soon after Papi’s DP — is making increasingly redundant.

At least his teammates have his back. Here’s Dustin Pedroia:

“David’s fine. He’s one of our teammates. It could’ve
been me that hit into a double play. It happens to everybody, man. He’s
had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I was hitting .170 and everyone
was ready to kill me too. What happened? Laser show so relax. I’m tired
of looking at the NESN poll, ‘Why is David struggling?’ David’s fine.
He’s one of our teammates. We believe in him. He came out of it last
year, he’s going to come out of it this year.”

Pedroia is probably referring to 2007, when he was in the .170s at about this point of the season. Of course he was also 23 years-old at the time, was making the league minimum, was not expected to carry much of the Red Sox’ offensive load, had defensive value and turned it around to earn Rookie of the Year honors.  Not exactly the same situation.

Pedroia is right about the fact that Ortiz did come out of it last year.  But is that something the Red Sox can count on again this year? And even if it is, is it something for which they can afford to wait?

If I’m Theo Epstein I thank David Ortiz for his service but send him off on an ice floe or a burning viking ship or whatever it is you do with old DHs who can’t cut it anymore. Harsh? Maybe. But the AL East is pretty harsh too, and the Red Sox stand 6.5 games behind a couple of teams who show no signs of slowing down.

Something has to be done.  David Ortiz has got to go.

1. Crusher - May 5, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Leroy is an idiot. Pedroia is having a great year and has carried that team. I’m not a Red Sox fan but give a player his due.

2. Big Harold - May 5, 2010 at 12:17 PM

First it was signing Mauer, now it’s “..picking up AGon…”. The Nation has a pretty high opinion of their GMs ability. High to the point of being delusional. Because, of course the Padres are just hoping for the opportunity to trade him to Boston for a couple of the RS vaunted prospects and a used pitching machine.
    The issue at hand is Ortiz looks done. It looks like it’s time to jettison the Big Guy. All the comparisons to Teixeira’s April numbers by other posters fail to note that Teixeira is younger, has a history of terrible Aprils and is the GG winner at his position for the last three years that he played a full season in the AL. Ortiz CAN NOT play defense, (he makes Jason Giambi look loke Doug Mientkiewicz at 1B), his only job is to hit. There are three possibilities for Ortiz’s decline;
    1- His wrist is not nor did it ever fully heal. Possible but frankly if that had been the case, or even a major contributor, it would have been reported already. So it’s not likely.
    2- He’s a lot older than he’s purported to be. It wouldn’t be the first time that a player, especially from the DR, was found to be older than thought.
    3- He was always far more “milkshake” dependent than anybody, perhaps even he, knew.
    Unless a player is old or hurt it’s hard to explain his numbers going off the cliff like they have for the last two years. If I were to make a guess I’d say it was a bit of both two and three. In the end it’s too bad. He sure did his part to make Yankee Red Sox games interesting over the years. Unless he shows signs of life real soon the Red Sox need to DFA him and try to get a real bat, one that they needed all along. The only run prevention going on in Boston is when the Red Sox are at bat. Or, they could just keep on with te same line up and spend the summer chasing the Jays for third place.

3. David - May 5, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Sox Fans are hillarious. As a California transplant to Boston, I feel I can comment w/a bit of unbiased perspective. Comparing Ortiz slow starts to Texieras tends to overlook one major factor. Tex is 30 Ortiz is “35″ in Dominican years and a proven steroid user who may or may not be on them anymore. Provided he is actually 35, that’s a common decline phase and his bat speed looks extremely slow. Now I’ll wager one of Old Gator’s horsemeat and velveeta sandwhiches he’s closer to 38 – 39 and because of that,
    getting gassed on 90-91 mph fastballs makes a lot more sense.
    Captcha: 1972 (Ortiz’s birthyear) stylish (appropos no?)

4. Fecteau - May 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Oh, so you’re saying Pedroia would hit 8-10 dingers in Yankee stadium, the one the Yanks shortened so Johnny Damon could have an up year? Real ballpark? Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Its more like REAL ly small outfield and easy to knock em out park…
    By the way, when was the last time the Yankees had a ROY? Oh yeah, 1996 with Derek Jeter… Wow, a… middle infielder like Pedroia… The Yankees won the WS that year… Pretty similar to Pedroia who was instrumental in getting the team in the playoffs and helping them win in 07. Jeter had slightly better #’s offensively in his ROY season, but ended up with more at bats and were pretty comparable… (150 or so more at bats and 2 more HR’s, and 20 some RBI’s more…) So if you want to talk trash about Pedroia, you might want to do a bit of research before you flap your ‘mouth’ (or in this instance your words on public format)

5. Fecteau - May 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Thank you Crusher… I hate when people do things like that. I’m a Caps fan for hockey, and I don’t like Crosby as a player or an individual, and as the Pens are pretty much becoming the big rivalry for the Caps, I still respect the guy leading the other team. At the end of the day, I’m even able to say that he’s better than Ovechkin when you consider all the intangibles, but it doesn’t take away from what Alex did in the season or that he is a phenom…
    Yankees fans… Be glad that the Red Sox are struggling, because its only a matter of time that they are back on top.

6. Ruben Amaro - May 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM

“You paying attention, Ruben Amaro, Jr.? This is your future.”
    Yes, I am. But we didn’t sign big poopie to a long term deal, we signed Ryan Howard. Ryan doesn’t need special Mojo Juice to keep him sharp either. Look at Raul ibanez, he’s 38. And although he’s had a very rough first month, he’s been getting on base at a very good clip lately. You see, some players can continue to perform into their 40′s even.

7. Michael - May 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM

That’s what happens when you come off the juice!

8. Above Average Citizen - May 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM

My IQ is 190. What is yours?
    My point is I don’t need some moron sportswriter telling me what I know already. I can see that Ortiz is through. It saddens me, but I know it. There is no need for some SOB sportswriter to waste my time telling me something I can see for myself. And I most certainly don’t need someone else repeating what I already know. Why don’t you just shut the BLEEP up, read a good book, and watch the game?

9. Above Average Citizen - May 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

None of what you said applies to this article. This moron writer is just telling what we already know. And I don’t need that. Besides, you don’t seem to know what the BLEEP you are talking about.

10. Bill@TDS - May 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

My IQ is 190.
    There is absolutely zero chance that this is true.

11. Paul C - May 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Laser show? We’re just going to pretend like that didn’t happen. Brilliant. Needs to be the way to describe every hot streak from now through eternity

12. yossarian - May 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I know there’s no way of this happening, but I’m really starting to wish we could have moderated comments here.
    reCaptcha: phoebes still –I’m assuming it’s referring to Phoebe Cates, and that she’s still positively adorable.

13. Old Gator - May 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Stop worrying about the occasional imbecile who manifests on here and go help the bombardier. And if not, then help him.
    Mo, that was the same moron who once accused none other than Jesse Jackson of “kissing white ass” on another thread. I wouldn’t waste a lot of time bristling at his decerebrated animadversions.

14. Pistol - May 5, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Pedroia can’t hold Cano’s jock . Cano will be around a long time , the runt of the litter won’t .

15. pisano - May 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM

He’s been finished for two years ,it’s no juice , no hit . Time to move on .

16. Craig Calcaterra - May 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Leroy — I deleted your dumbass bigoted comments, and if you keep it up I’ll ban you. I don’t tolerate that kind of bullshit around here and if you can’t keep it at least moderately civil, you will no longer be welcome.
    Do we understand one another?
    Of course we do.

17. whitty - May 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM

“Why do we let stupid, ignorant SOBs who have never played the game to any degree of excellence tell us what should happen in our national pastime?”
    Why do we let stupid, ignorant SOBs who have never written for a major news outlet tell us what bloggers should and shouldn’t be writing about?
    See what I did there?
    Plus, Mr. 190 IQ, while you might think it’s obvious that Ortiz is done, the Red Sox have not DFA’ed Ortiz. Nor have they released him or attempted to trade him.
    If Ortiz is clearly finished and the Red Sox continue to give him regular or semi-regular at-bats, then the Red Sox front office is full of idiots. If it’s not yet clear that Ortiz is finished, then Craig is offering an opinion that is not yet widely distributed. In either case, there’s a clear, defensible reason for this post.
    But I suppose you’d rather continue to read Craig’s posts just so you can complain about them. Good luck with that.

18. Wendall - May 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM

You’re a genius, where did you get your first clue ? It couldn’t be the fact that he washed up could it ? or that the tougher drug testing killed him . I doubt he’ll make it to the trade deadline . The sux will cut him .

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5503)