May 5, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
At this point I’ve completely lost track of the number of calf injuries that have occurred in baseball this season. It’s like the shark attacks in the summer of 2001. They probably always happened, but we’re all of a sudden hearing of them every single day.
The latest victim: Johnny Damon, who left in the fourth inning of this afternoon’s Tigers-Twins game with what’s being described as “calf spasms.” No word on whether this is an injury or if he just needs more potassium or whatever. Updates — breathless updates, befitting the epidemic nature of these calf attacks — as they become available.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (172)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)