May 5, 2010, 4:10 PM EST
At this point I’ve completely lost track of the number of calf injuries that have occurred in baseball this season. It’s like the shark attacks in the summer of 2001. They probably always happened, but we’re all of a sudden hearing of them every single day.
The latest victim: Johnny Damon, who left in the fourth inning of this afternoon’s Tigers-Twins game with what’s being described as “calf spasms.” No word on whether this is an injury or if he just needs more potassium or whatever. Updates — breathless updates, befitting the epidemic nature of these calf attacks — as they become available.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)