May 5, 2010, 2:44 PM EST
Last month, after failing to land spot on the Cubs’ bench, Kevin Millar retired and took a job with MLB Network, saying:
Working with the guys at the MLB Network is the next best thing to actually being in a clubhouse. I’m really excited to get started and have some fun.
In the three weeks since then Millar apparently changed his mind, because today he signed to play for the independent league St. Paul Saints.
Millar actually began his professional career with the Saints in 1993, back when he was 21 years old and they frequently had players snatched up by MLB organizations. In fact, five different guys from that 1993 team went on to play in the majors.
Millar signed with the Marlins in 1994 and after four more seasons in the minors eventually got his shot, playing a dozen seasons with Florida, Boston, Baltimore, and Toronto. He returns 17 years later, apparently unwilling to call it quits at age 38. Clearly “the next best thing to actually being in a clubhouse” can’t compete with actually being in a clubhouse, independent league or not.
UPDATE: A spokesperson for MLB Network informs me that Millar “will still continue his on-air role on MLB Network throughout this season” and in fact will be on “MLB Tonight” … well, tonight.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)