May 5, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mariano Rivera may have wanted to pitch today, but the Yankees turned to Boone Logan and then Alfredo Aceves to close out a 7-5 victory in a messy ninth inning. With a scheduled day off tomorrow, Joe Girardi apparently wanted to give Rivera extra rest before the series against Boston begins Friday.
Unavailable for the past two games because of soreness in his left side, Mariano Rivera said this morning that he “feels better” and “could go out there” if needed this afternoon against the Orioles.
Actually, he said the second day off “wasn’t necessary.” Obviously it’s tough to blame the Yankees for playing it safe with Rivera, especially since Joba Chamberlain converted both save opportunities while filling in.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com notes that Chamberlain is the first Yankees pitcher other than Rivera to “record consecutive saves since Juan Acevedo in 2003 and Mike Stanton in 1998.”
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)