May 5, 2010, 4:18 PM EST
UPDATE: Mariano Rivera may have wanted to pitch today, but the Yankees turned to Boone Logan and then Alfredo Aceves to close out a 7-5 victory in a messy ninth inning. With a scheduled day off tomorrow, Joe Girardi apparently wanted to give Rivera extra rest before the series against Boston begins Friday.
Unavailable for the past two games because of soreness in his left side, Mariano Rivera said this morning that he “feels better” and “could go out there” if needed this afternoon against the Orioles.
Actually, he said the second day off “wasn’t necessary.” Obviously it’s tough to blame the Yankees for playing it safe with Rivera, especially since Joba Chamberlain converted both save opportunities while filling in.
Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com notes that Chamberlain is the first Yankees pitcher other than Rivera to “record consecutive saves since Juan Acevedo in 2003 and Mike Stanton in 1998.”
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)