May 5, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
Milton Bradley returned to the cleanup spot last night after a few weeks either hurt or batting elsewhere. He went 0 for 3, and struck out looking twice. After the second one, Don Wakamatsu lifted him from the game.
Whether Bradley’s benching was to save him from himself — Bradley, you may be shocked to learn, was not happy with the umpire — or to save the Mariners from his ineptitude is unclear. What is clear, however, is that he was angry about it. Indeed, according to Gregg Bell of the Associated press “multiple Mariners” said Bradley’s mindset was “not
good” after the game. The Seattle Times’ Geoff Baker reports that Bradley’s frustration was about the benching, not about his bad night at the plate. He apparently threw stuff all over the dugout after he was taken out of the game.
Neither Baker nor Bell suggest that there was anything exchanged between Wakamatsu and Bradley, but both note that he wasn’t in the clubhouse after the game. Perhaps, like Eric Byrnes before him, he got on his bike and rode.
If this keeps up he may have something else in common with Eric Byrnes: unemployment.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)