May 5, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Guys usually get mocked if they live with their mamas at age 26. This is not the case if you are 6-0 with 0.87 ERA and a no-hitter under your belt:
Ramona Garcia de Jimenez spends baseball
season just as she has the past 26 years, taking care of her son,
Rockies ace pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez, and her family. Whether she’s
cooking rice in the LoDo loft, or roasting a goat at the family compound
in the Dominican Republic, la mama calls the culinary pitches.
Her big-league ballplayer son likes to have her with him, she says,
to wash his clothes and cook the food he likes.
This is from the Denver Post’s food section, so there’s lots of talk about the stuff Mama Jimenez cooks for her pequenito, as she calls Ubaldo. After reading it, I can’t help but wonder if Rockies players aren’t constantly trying to get invites to Jimenez’s place for lunch before heading to the ballpark.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)