May 5, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Cole Hamels nearly gave the Phillies’ bullpen a night off Tuesday, out-dueling Adam Wainwright while taking a shutout into the ninth inning of a 1-0 game. Back-to-back doubles tied the game, at which point Charlie Manuel brought in Brad Lidge to get out of the jam … and he actually did. Lidge got three outs with the go-ahead run in scoring position and Carlos Ruiz eventually won the game with a walk-off homer in extras.
Hamels and Wainwright both got stuck with no-decisions despite excellent outings, with Wainwright dropping his ERA below 2.00 and Hamels getting his under 5.00. Obviously a 4.48 mark still isn’t pretty for Hamels, but a 44/12 K/BB ratio in 39 innings is promising.
As for Lidge, he didn’t get the call to save a 1-0 game because Hamels was seemingly in control, but with Ryan Madson expected to miss two months following toe surgery it’s only a matter of time.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 77
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47