May 5, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Cole Hamels nearly gave the Phillies’ bullpen a night off Tuesday, out-dueling Adam Wainwright while taking a shutout into the ninth inning of a 1-0 game. Back-to-back doubles tied the game, at which point Charlie Manuel brought in Brad Lidge to get out of the jam … and he actually did. Lidge got three outs with the go-ahead run in scoring position and Carlos Ruiz eventually won the game with a walk-off homer in extras.
Hamels and Wainwright both got stuck with no-decisions despite excellent outings, with Wainwright dropping his ERA below 2.00 and Hamels getting his under 5.00. Obviously a 4.48 mark still isn’t pretty for Hamels, but a 44/12 K/BB ratio in 39 innings is promising.
As for Lidge, he didn’t get the call to save a 1-0 game because Hamels was seemingly in control, but with Ryan Madson expected to miss two months following toe surgery it’s only a matter of time.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 51
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games