May 5, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Cole Hamels nearly gave the Phillies’ bullpen a night off Tuesday, out-dueling Adam Wainwright while taking a shutout into the ninth inning of a 1-0 game. Back-to-back doubles tied the game, at which point Charlie Manuel brought in Brad Lidge to get out of the jam … and he actually did. Lidge got three outs with the go-ahead run in scoring position and Carlos Ruiz eventually won the game with a walk-off homer in extras.
Hamels and Wainwright both got stuck with no-decisions despite excellent outings, with Wainwright dropping his ERA below 2.00 and Hamels getting his under 5.00. Obviously a 4.48 mark still isn’t pretty for Hamels, but a 44/12 K/BB ratio in 39 innings is promising.
As for Lidge, he didn’t get the call to save a 1-0 game because Hamels was seemingly in control, but with Ryan Madson expected to miss two months following toe surgery it’s only a matter of time.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)