Astros' Lee says he may retire after 2012 season

May 6, 2010, 10:22 PM EDT

carlos lee swinging.jpgAstros outfielder Carlos Lee told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com Thursday that he might retire after the 2012 season, when his current contract runs out.

“I don’t know if I’m going to play after this contract is up. I’m
ready to go home,” said Lee.  “We spend so much time away from our family.  I can’t spend
any other time with my kids. I get home at 10 o’clock, 11 o’clock and
they’re sleeping and they get up at 6:30 in the morning to go to school
and I see them 10, 15 minutes. I want to be able to spend time with my
kid where they’re still young and healthy. I want to enjoy them.”

Lee is owed $18.5 million this season and the same sum in both 2011 and 2012.  The 33-year-old has a disappointing .204 batting average and a .248 on-base percentage through 103 at-bats this season, so he may have been venting because of his poor start.  But the family issues are certainly understandable.  Lee makes his offseason home in Panama, where he was born.  He has two sons
and two daughters.

1. Cru11 - May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Throw the numbers out of the window. You gotta respect a man who values his family like that. My respect for Carlos has gone up, substantially.

2. smithevne - May 7, 2010 at 2:01 AM

yea i respect him family ….
    Flex Factor

3. Grilla G - May 7, 2010 at 5:37 AM

4. Joey B - May 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

“Owing him 55 million over the next three years, if I’m the Astros, I really don’t wanna hear about your plans at the end of 2012. How about busting your hump to earn your salary. He’s talking about retiring, while Berkman’s talking about being traded. No wonder the Astros suck, with all their money tied up with these two. Go Stros’!!”
    It’s not his fault he’s getting $55M over the next three years. Just like Soriano and ARod, it virtually had to be a bad contract the day it was signed.
    Nothing nysterious here. He was always, and probably still is a 30-HR .295 hitter who’s weak in the field. A good player, not a great player. A guy with a 3-4 year horizon before decline, not a 6-year player. He deserved about $60M/4, not $100M/6.

5. Gareth - May 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM

His fantasy owners wish he had retired before the 2010 season. Zing!

Three legends off to Cooperstown