Dallas Braden: "we don't do much talking in the 209"

May 6, 2010, 9:13 AM EST

Dallas Braden sat for an interview with CSN’s Mychael Urban and the subject of the whole A-Rod-on-the-mound thing came up:

Urban:  What people do want to see is what’s in your
head regarding Alex Rodriguez. I was on the air the day it happened, and
I said, “I just fell in love with Dallas all over again.”  I pitched in
college; if somebody did that to me I would have done the exact same
thing.  After the game, when you said, “If he does it again, there’s
going to be repercussions…” I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but
I said, “Where Dallas comes from, the 209, they don’t settle things
with message pitches, they settle them with knuckles.” Is that what you
were talking about?

Dallas Braden:  Well, I mean that’s pretty much the long and
the short of it.  You know, on a serious note, obviously there’s things
that are going to have to happen–just out of respect for my teammates,
out of respect for the game.  I think he’s probably garnered a new
respect for the unwritten rules, and people who hold them close to their
game.  But yeah I think you’re right–we don’t do much talking in the
209.

I realize people disagree about this incident. Some people think A-Rod was out of line, some people think that Braden was being way too touchy, some people think a little of both was going on.

But I think we can all agree on one thing: referring to where you come from as “the [area code]” is impossibly lame.  Especially when your area code covers freakin’ Modesto, California.

1. Michael - May 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I thought being a Yankee was all about “class”?
    Apparently the New Yankee Fans don’t care about class. But it IS fun to see them cry about something (i.e., the prospect of A-Rod getting nailed) for a while.

2. RP - May 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Whose classless here? Braden is no doubt. Of course Yankee haters can keep on hating because we’ve already heard every possible excuse from other fans and this just adds on more. I don’t care where A-Rod walked over, guys like Chipper Jones never even heard of the rule. Braden needs to wake the hell up and shutup.

3. gunzofsteel - May 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM

If you are not from the 209 you will never understand.

4. Meh - May 8, 2010 at 12:20 PM

“The 209″ lolololololololol

5. Lee - May 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Being from Modesto, a lot of people from the Modesto area call it the 209, its not really that big of a deal.

6. John Murry - May 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM

He just threw the 19th perfect game in history. He can say whatever he wants to that prick A-Rod. Nasty Boy, RP, BobMac, SouthOfHeaven: Shut up, you morons. Do you even watch baseball? Watch your damn mouths before you start running ‘em….

7. Matt - May 9, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I think the best thing in this article are all the comments about how some no-name pitcher should just shut up. I think it’s safe to say that he can talk now.
    A-Rod showed some class today with his comments, though. That almost hurts to say, but it is true. And Dallas? Well, when you do something for only the 19th time in league history….you get more than ’15 minutes’. Good day for both of them.

8. urmamma - May 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Eat your words clowns.. Dallas Braden represented everyone in the 209 with a perfect game how do you like that, bitch.

9. fredderf - May 10, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Braden blows boat people.

10. Eric Crocker - May 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Man all u guys are dumb.. 209 isnt just once city.. im from stockton but i played juco football in modesto.. 30 minutes apart.. and everyone i know from stockton is proud to be from stockton..i rep stockton everyday at the university im at in arkansas..stockton produces alot of pro athletes.. you guys who are talking bad about stockton but never there are ignorant.. the dude is just proud of where hes from and reps it.. stop hatin online.. talk that shit in the “209” lol i put money up u wont.. ask Nick Diaz the UFC fighter where hes from.. Stockton.. go talk that shit to him lol

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4862)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2527)
  4. J. Kang (2495)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2472)
  1. C. McGehee (2451)