Dallas Braden: "we don't do much talking in the 209"

May 6, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT

Dallas Braden sat for an interview with CSN’s Mychael Urban and the subject of the whole A-Rod-on-the-mound thing came up:

Urban:  What people do want to see is what’s in your
head regarding Alex Rodriguez. I was on the air the day it happened, and
I said, “I just fell in love with Dallas all over again.”  I pitched in
college; if somebody did that to me I would have done the exact same
thing.  After the game, when you said, “If he does it again, there’s
going to be repercussions…” I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but
I said, “Where Dallas comes from, the 209, they don’t settle things
with message pitches, they settle them with knuckles.” Is that what you
were talking about?

Dallas Braden:  Well, I mean that’s pretty much the long and
the short of it.  You know, on a serious note, obviously there’s things
that are going to have to happen–just out of respect for my teammates,
out of respect for the game.  I think he’s probably garnered a new
respect for the unwritten rules, and people who hold them close to their
game.  But yeah I think you’re right–we don’t do much talking in the
209.

I realize people disagree about this incident. Some people think A-Rod was out of line, some people think that Braden was being way too touchy, some people think a little of both was going on.

But I think we can all agree on one thing: referring to where you come from as “the [area code]” is impossibly lame.  Especially when your area code covers freakin’ Modesto, California.

1. bobmac - May 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Lame is a fine description of this whole deal.Now the question becomes who is the more lame.Braden or Urban?

2. SouthofHeaven - May 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Jesus. Enough from the second-rate pitchers about their precious mounds already. I can see justifying a lot of A-Rod hate but this is getting a little beyond ridiculous.

3. YankeesfanLen - May 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM

We’re getting back on the tag thingy- good news!
    That’s how we get it done in the 201.

4. Lila - May 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Wow, this kid is a big loser. But referring to the area fits his douchebag prison mug shot picture.

5. Joel S - May 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Wow, you better stay away from those bad a** Norhtern Californians. They obviously handle their bussiness a little more seriously than the rest of us. So LAME.

6. smsetnor - May 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Kinda like how awesome it is to hear THE Ohio State University.

7. mike - May 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM

When Andy Warhol said everyone would get their 15 minutes of fame, did he know that mentioning A-Rod was the quickest way to make that happen?

8. The Common Man - May 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM

This controversy just took a turn…for the douche.

9. From the "415" - May 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Lame? . . . It’s beyond the left field of lame . . . “the 209″ is freakin’ “MODESTO!”

10. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Wow, could Dallas sound any more ghetto? I was a pitcher myself but jeez, you can’t be so territorial about your mound. It’s a stupid pile of dirt. So what if it upset you? If anything scuffed it up, I’d just show up the baserunner by calling out the groundskeeper, not make wigga-lame threats or even hold onto that anger past a day.

11. Jonny5 - May 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Ok, now shut up and play the game you idiot! Seriously no one gives a crap about your Mound rules, or how you roll in the “209” Ya feckin’ douchebag!!!! I don’t really like a-rod either, but now I like you a little less than him Dallas Braden. Yeah, I bet you got picked on in the 209 with a name like that, All though A-rod is something I wouldn’t want to be called either. Who came up with A-rod anyway, an enemy I presume??

12. lar @ wezen-ball - May 6, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I think you all are showing your ignorance of Northern California. Not only is it now referred to as “Northern California” – the locals prefer “NorCal”, which they like to get tattooed in hella cool Olde English script on their back – but Modesto is where George Lucas is from and where the Hershey factory is.
    You just can’t mock a place like that.

13. Alex K - May 6, 2010 at 10:36 AM

BURN!!!!!
    But you don’t have much room to talk, Notre Dame fan.

14. Oscar - May 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM

A-Rod’s Miami hometown? Rated third by the same article.
    Personally, I’d take (305) street toughs in a fight over (209) townies any day. But I don’t think A-Rod or Braden would be anywhere near that fight.

15. Joey B - May 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM

“Well, Braden’s hometown, Stockton, CA, was rated the fifth-most dangerous city in the US by Forbes magazine.”
    What’s funny is all these guys sitting behind their computer screens making fun of the 209, without having the slightest idea that it scored a 5. Personally, I have no idea if it’s tough or not, or if Braden is tough or not, but unlike many otheres in here, I’m willing to admit it.

16. Old Gator - May 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Een Macondo we don’ get much of anytheeng done in the tres-zeero-sinko. (786 if you’re using one of those leettle clam shell radio phones). Too hot for deek-waving. Same reason we don’ talk mucho. Everybody they want us to get eet done een the meedle of the afternoon. Seely. Maybe on a cloudy day when the temperature drop below melting point of banana, we maybe get sometheeng done. But usually no. Maybe eef thees leetle peetchers stop they seely baby whineeng, maybe we even go see them more. You theenk?
    “Mound” is the one weethout the almond een eet, no?

17. Lila - May 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Its irrelevant how how tough his town is. He’s a goofball.

18. Loren - May 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I’m obviously alone here, but I like Braden’s NoCal gangsta schtick, it’s funny. When he first came up I thought he was just a punk kid that looked and sounded ridiculous. Maybe he’s toned it down a bit or I’ve just gotten used to it, but it’s fun. It harkens back to the days of Rickey and Cansenco. As long as you don’t take it seriously he’s just an entertaining character. I’ll take this over, “I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.”
    Did you know Braden writes 209 on his shoes? At some point he just becomes a cartoon character.

19. Jonny5 - May 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM

He’d be eaten alive over here in Jersey though http://www.buzzle.com/articles/americas-most-dangerous-cities.html , so He can stick his “209” up his azz!!!! He’s a Sally girl. Yeah EAST COAST!!! 856 is where the real hardasses live!! yeah!!! What Up Dallas?!!!!
    Ok, that was painful.

20. APBA Guy - May 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Very funny stuff this morning.
    Oscar: Stockton is indeed a tough place. A lot of the CA farm communities have gotten ugly with unemployment over 20% and immigration issues, poverty, etc.. Braden is from there, but still lives at home, commutes to the game every day in Oakland.
    Gator and Jonny: I lived most of my life on the East Coast, including some time in FL. My guess is the MS-13 guys are toughest of all, but these NorCal gangs have more members. That said, did I mention Braden spends a lot of time working with the Stockton little league and the local high school team? Not just the occasional drop-in. He’s with the kids all the time.
    Loren: He has toned down the gangsta thing. It was a survival mechanism coming from his less advantaged background. His catch phrase now, when talking to a group of Little Leaguers “There’s a big leaguer inside each one of you, waiting to come out”. I suppose that means each little guy should vociferously defend the mound, maybe not.
    Keep in mind he’s still pretty young, and he reacts instinctively to perceived slights by the “big” boys, the way he’s done all his life. That said, you can do that and still be wrong. Most of the media here have moved past this issue, and are onto the blaming the A’s owners for the decline in fan attendance, as they should.

21. scatterbrian - May 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM

That excerpt is a perfect example of what makes Mychael Urban such a cheesedick.

22. scatterbrian - May 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Are people still hung up about the mound issue?

Jim Palmer: “I don’t have any problem with that. Why would I care?”

Bert Blyleven: “It doesn’t make any difference to me whether I’m standing on it or not — that’s my mound and you stay off my mound. When the left fielder runs from the first base dugout to left field between innings, you never see him run across the mound. You just don’t see players running across the mound.”

Goose Gossage: “I’m sure I would have taken offense to it had it happened, but it never happened. I don’t ever remember seeing a baserunner who was all the way to third base run back across the mound. It was kind of a respectful thing. It probably would have been taken as an ‘in your face.'”

23. Joey B - May 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM

“If I live in 856 but work in 609 which are both tough neighborhoods, does that make me half a hardass or just halfassed? Or a whole hardass? I’m confused.”
    Me too. I doubt some of these guys have ever been in a fight or been in a tough neighborhood. I was born in the South Bronx and went to school in the South Bronx and lived most of my life in the Bronx. That doesn’t make me tough.
    What the heck, I wasn’t going to tell you, but some of y’all already know. The reason for the reaction is that some of the people, and I’d bet every single one of them is a liberal (don’t ask how I know), treat this as a B/W issue. They don’t want to admit that there are plenty of white people that grow up in bad neighborhoods. For some reason, it offends them when white guys are tough. Almost like they feel it is a right reserved for minorities.

24. Oscar - May 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I finally watched the interview and can offer one additional insight: they don’t do much dental work in the 209 either.

25. Nasty Boy - May 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Braden’s a nobody going nowhere . I wouldn’t give this guy the time of day let alone an interview . Lets all forget the incident because he won’t be a pitcher to remember anyway .

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2866)