May 6, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
“I think this
is the end. You never say never, but I think
this is it. Parts of 11 seasons, man — I gave everything I had to the
game. I can look myself in the mirror and know that I gave it my all.
I’m proud of that.”
Byrnes was always a fun player to watch. That is, unless your team was paying him way too much money based on what he did for one playoff push back in 2007. But based on all of his recent injuries and ineffectiveness, he’s probably being pretty realistic about his future as a player.
He did some stuff for FOX a couple of years ago. You have to figure, therefore, that he’s going to want to get into broadcasting.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)