May 6, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
“I think this
is the end. You never say never, but I think
this is it. Parts of 11 seasons, man — I gave everything I had to the
game. I can look myself in the mirror and know that I gave it my all.
I’m proud of that.”
Byrnes was always a fun player to watch. That is, unless your team was paying him way too much money based on what he did for one playoff push back in 2007. But based on all of his recent injuries and ineffectiveness, he’s probably being pretty realistic about his future as a player.
He did some stuff for FOX a couple of years ago. You have to figure, therefore, that he’s going to want to get into broadcasting.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)