May 6, 2010, 5:10 PM EST
Roy Halladay is now 6-1 after stifling the Cardinals over seven innings in the Phillies 7-2 win. He worked out of early trouble and struck out nine while scattering — yes, scattering! — eight hits.
Best moment of the game. Seventh inning, Roy Halladay already has thrown 117 pitches and has just given up an RBI single to Pujols. Charlie Manuel comes out to the mound to take the ball. Except he doesn’t. We’ll learn later what Halladay actually said, but he effectively told Manuel that he wasn’t leaving the game. Matt Holliday grounds out on the very next pitch and Halladay leaves the field to the roar of the crowd. Robin Roberts tribute anyone?
By the way, the above photo was taken this afternoon by Matt Slocum of the Associated Press. It’s one of my favorite game shots of the year so far. It pretty much captures the “I’m gonna handle this myself” essence of Halladay.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)