May 6, 2010, 5:10 PM EDT
Roy Halladay is now 6-1 after stifling the Cardinals over seven innings in the Phillies 7-2 win. He worked out of early trouble and struck out nine while scattering — yes, scattering! — eight hits.
Best moment of the game. Seventh inning, Roy Halladay already has thrown 117 pitches and has just given up an RBI single to Pujols. Charlie Manuel comes out to the mound to take the ball. Except he doesn’t. We’ll learn later what Halladay actually said, but he effectively told Manuel that he wasn’t leaving the game. Matt Holliday grounds out on the very next pitch and Halladay leaves the field to the roar of the crowd. Robin Roberts tribute anyone?
By the way, the above photo was taken this afternoon by Matt Slocum of the Associated Press. It’s one of my favorite game shots of the year so far. It pretty much captures the “I’m gonna handle this myself” essence of Halladay.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)