May 6, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
An Illinois legislator is calling for the Chicago White Sox to move
their spring training camp out of Arizona because he objects to Arizona’s new immigration law. The lawmaker — Martin Sandoval — says that it encourages racial profiling and that he doesn’t want to keep spending taxpayers’ money on a team that continues
doing business in Arizona.
Politicians grandstanding on such issues is pretty par for the course, so I’ll no more criticize an out-of-state legislator from taking this position than I would criticize the cat for eating my potted lillies. It’s annoying but inevitable and ultimately unstoppable so it’s best to just ignore it.
But the White Sox’ response is interesting:
“We feel it would be inappropriate for the Chicago White Sox to comment
independently on a national, major league-wide issue, one which would
impact more than just the White Sox,” team spokesman Scott Reifert said.
“Obviously, we enjoy a wonderful partnership with the city of
And it is a major league-wide issue. Which Bud Selig and Major League Baseball seems not to want acknowledge whatsoever. Which is fine in the abstract, but not fine given that its most important constituencies — the players’ union and the individual teams — are (a) taking positions on it; and (b) getting beat up about it.
And the longer major league baseball waits to make some official statement
on the Arizona immigration law, the more we’ll see of this sort of
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)