May 6, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
An Illinois legislator is calling for the Chicago White Sox to move
their spring training camp out of Arizona because he objects to Arizona’s new immigration law. The lawmaker — Martin Sandoval — says that it encourages racial profiling and that he doesn’t want to keep spending taxpayers’ money on a team that continues
doing business in Arizona.
Politicians grandstanding on such issues is pretty par for the course, so I’ll no more criticize an out-of-state legislator from taking this position than I would criticize the cat for eating my potted lillies. It’s annoying but inevitable and ultimately unstoppable so it’s best to just ignore it.
But the White Sox’ response is interesting:
“We feel it would be inappropriate for the Chicago White Sox to comment
independently on a national, major league-wide issue, one which would
impact more than just the White Sox,” team spokesman Scott Reifert said.
“Obviously, we enjoy a wonderful partnership with the city of
And it is a major league-wide issue. Which Bud Selig and Major League Baseball seems not to want acknowledge whatsoever. Which is fine in the abstract, but not fine given that its most important constituencies — the players’ union and the individual teams — are (a) taking positions on it; and (b) getting beat up about it.
And the longer major league baseball waits to make some official statement
on the Arizona immigration law, the more we’ll see of this sort of
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)