May 6, 2010, 8:32 AM EST
There was a lot of coverage of the Phoenix Suns’ decision to wear jerseys that said “Los Suns” on them as a protest against Arizona’s immigration law. The Diamondbacks have been doing that, and more, for years, however.
Back in 2007 the team began a concerted effort to attract the Hispanic fan base, entering into promotional partnerships with media
outlets such as Univision and La Voz and selling tickets at
Phoenix Ranch Market, which caters to Hispanic shoppers. They also installed new Spanish language signage around Chase Field, and made an effort to market the team under the name “Los Diamantes” because there wasn’t an easy and pithy Spanish translation for “Diamondbacks.”
Such things weren’t political statements. They were reflections of reality. A reality that more than a quarter of Maricopa County residents are Hispanic and that, despite the fact that overall attendance was in decline at Dbacks games, Hispanic attendance had held more or less steady. When a large portion of your fan base is also among your most loyal fans, you do that sort of thing.
It’s the sort of thing that everyone — both the supporters of the immigration law and those who would boycott the Diamondbacks — should maybe think about a bit.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)