May 6, 2010, 9:31 PM EDT
The Mariners placed outfielder Milton Bradley on the restricted list Thursday to allow him a little more time for reflection on the emotional issues that caused him to leave the clubhouse in the middle of Tuesday’s game.
Bradley is not allowed to be in uniform or travel with the team and can’t return to action for five days. The move cleared a spot on the 25-man roster for Michael Saunders, who will provide outfield depth in Bradley’s absence. Saunders, 23, was batting just .200/.293/.213 with five RBI in 80 at-bats for Triple-A Tacoma but the M’s need bodies.
Bradley, 32, is hitting .214/.313/.371 with two homers and 12 RBI through 70 at-bats this season. He asked for “help” from the Mariners on Wednesday and, according to the Tacoma News Tribune’s Ryan Divish, had his first therapy session this afternoon.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)