Quote of the Day: Dustin Pedroia

May 6, 2010, 1:12 PM EDT

“Bomb squad? Bomb squad? They’re early!”

Dustin Pedroia, after being told that there was a bomb threat at Fenway before yesterday’s game.  He then — and I am not making this up — flexed his muscles.

Between this and his “laser show” comment from the other day, I can’t think of why I’d follow any other Red Sox player around if I were a Boston reporter.

1. Charles Gates - May 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM

If you want to argue that Cano is better than Pedroia, sure, you and Moses can do that (I’m on the Cano side of the argument). But to say that Pedroia is a terrible player is just plain silly.
    But the whole point of my post, which you seemed to have missed, concerns the fact that talent shouldn’t be the be all, end all barometer you use to pick your favorite player.
    Also, this quote from you made me laugh: You need to proof read your post. Lastly, your no Yankee fan , your an impostor .

2. lanny - May 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I meant no disrespect to you . It just seemed to me you were slanted towards Pedroia . In my mind they’re both good at second base , but I honestly feel Cano is clearly the better all around player . Granted I may have sounded like I was degrading Pedroia , but in reality I feel he and Youk. are the best players on that team . I also should have qualified my statement about 50 second baseman that are better , what I should have stated was in my lifetime , and I’m no kid. On the proof read , you wrote :” I admore Pedroia a lot”, instead of I admire. Again no disrespect , and about the impostor crack , I apologize .

3. Steve - May 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I don’t see how you can say Cano’s clearly the better all around player. According to WAR Pedroia has been worth about 5 more wins over the last 3 seasons. Pedroia is a better defensive player according to UZR and +/- and he steals more bases while Cano hits more homers. Cano’s slugging % is slightly higher but Pedroia has a better on-base %. Batting averages are pretty much the same. All this points to two very good 2nd basemen but the numbers appear to point to Pedroia as the superior player. I guess there’s no reason to let facts get in the way of an argument that you apparently based on your obviously amateur observations.

4. lanny - May 7, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I have my opinion , and you have yours . Lets see barring injuries who’s in the majors longer . I say it will be Cano , I still think he’s not even near his peak . No offense to Pedroia , but how much more can he get out of his stature . Cano is bigger , stronger , hits with more power , has a stronger arm , and in my opinion has a body more suited to longevity . Again , I’m no expert ,but that’s what I see . I guess time will tell . One other thing , since the Yankees traded Melky Cabrerra Cano’s productivity has picked up greatly . An earlier poster pointed that out , it seem he’s more serious about his game . It was said there was too much fooling around between the two ,and not enough serious baseball being played . This is not my insight , but another poster . It is food for thought .

5. Charles Gates - May 10, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I just found my way back here in order to get the last word.
    recaptcha: authority caucusses

6. nck - Jun 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Haaaa
    This post seems ridiculous now…….NOW, its no longer a debate on Cano vs Pedroia, its Cano VS Utley……..
    Let pedroia HUSTLE all he wants….People always say HUSTLER when they really mean LITTLE TALENT.
    AND Pedroia is waaaaaaaaaay to ugly to be a MVP.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3746)