The Yankees and Red Sox "eras"

May 6, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT

Red Sox Yankees fight.jpgRob Neyer has kicked off what will be a 30-part series in which he attempts to divide the histories of every major league franchise into distinct
eras, with each era connected to a single player.  He starts today with the most obvious ones: the Yankees and the Red Sox.

But how obvious are they really? For example, can any of you, without looking, define the Snuffy Stirnweiss era for the Yankees? And when was the Carl Yastrzemski era? Trick question! There wasn’t one.  It went straight from Dick Radatz to Reggie Smith to Carlton Fisk to Wade Boggs. But before you get flustered about that, go read, because, at least in my opinion, this kind of historically assessment is what Neyer does best.

My only quibble: that Joe Pepitone didn’t get the 1965-69 era for the Yankees. Because I can’t think of the post-dynasty Yankees without thinking of Joe Pepitone.

1. scatterbrian - May 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I always thought the Jim Rice era was the most feared era, but evidently it never existed.

2. Kevin - May 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Pepitone was basically the same player when the Yankees were good earlier in the decade and later when they weren’t. For me, 1965-1969 was the Tom Tresh era. Having convinced everyone that he (and they) would carry on that Yankee tradition forever, he (and they) didn’t.

3. Roger Moore - May 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM

What do I win if I can tell you that the Snuffy Stirnweiss era was 1943-45? He’s pretty obviously the Yankee standout for the time DiMaggio was in the army.

4. Don - May 6, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I never new Boston had an era..I suppose they did prior to 1915 and for 3 years since 2000. Hardly what anybody defines as an era though.

5. GOSOXSJ - May 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM

i like how Don the Yankee Fan can make ignorant comments but cant spell “knew”

6. Ace - May 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM

In his paragraph on the Pedro Martinez era, Neyer talks about Pedro’s excellent years in Toronto, as a Blue Jay. That, coupled with the complete absence of Yaz, leads me to believe this is some kind of bizarro world column.

7. Craig Calcaterra - May 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM

He’s talking about Clemens’ years as a Jay, not Pedro’s.

8. kanock - May 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM

“I never knew Boston had an era ” Yeah Don they did… it was called Roids, or juice , the tainted World Series of 2004, and 2007, with stricter drug testing they’ll probably never be back to a series.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3679)