Baseball wants the Red Sox to get back into the race

May 7, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT

Bob Raissman of the Daily News observes that, based on the fact that FOX is giving an unusually-large portion of the nation the Yankees-Sox game tomorrow and based on the fact that the schedule makers have put so many Yankees-Sox games late in the season, baseball was banking on those two titans to slug it out down to the wire.  If the Sox don’t get back into the race, he says, it could be a bad thing for the bottom line.

That sound you hear is the rest of the nation not caring one iota. Any business plan that relies so heavily on two teams deserves to be disrupted.  Indeed, though it would totally horrifying from a business perspective, I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.

1. Rays fan - May 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I care.
    Of course, there aren’t enough of me, but I will happily cheer the boys on!
    Many of our fans though are band-wagoners who won’t show up until after the All Star break. The Tropicana “unique facility” is also a clear handicap. I’ve joked in the past about the geriatrics, but there’s also a real demographic issue–most Floridians aren’t from here. Go to a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game & you’ll see far more Ontario plates than you will FL ones. It’s not as prnounced with the Rays, but (for example) there are still a lot of folks who follow the Yankees in the Tampa Bay area and not the Rays per se. (1) The Yankees have help spring training in Tampa longer than the Rays have existed, and (2) there are an awful lot of transplated New Yorkers here who quite reasonably still love their home town team.

2. Sonny - May 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM

” That doesn’t exactly look like a team bound for last place to me ” It sure did to me tonight . What an ass whipping . The team they fielded tonight is a disgrace to the AL East . With the exception of Youkilis , and Pedroia (he didn’t do shit) none of the rest of them could play on a Yankee or Rays team. I understand they have some injuries in the field , but the pitching is terrible . Beckett is supposed to be the ace of that staff . I’m thinking the Yankees own him . Before tonight he had an era of 5.39 against the Yanks and now rising . They’re in worse trouble than I thought . Thinman , you better hope for third , but fourth is a distinct possibility .

3. Moses Green - May 8, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Everyone knows the best way to judge any baseball team is to look at one game. Your posts prove that they now have computers in group homes. Good for you. Remember, no biting or they’ll take it away again.

4. Route36West - May 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM

“I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.”
    I can think of 1 thing better a Rays Phillies world series. Think about it the Phillies are the losingest team in the history of organized sports period. No other team has lost over a 1000 games. So what could be better for baseball then a Phillies dynasty. It would show all these clubs who have had long droughts to see that it is possible to have continued success.
    Then add in the Rays who were the worst team in baseball 3 years ago. They didnt have to use a huge payroll to make it to 2 world series in 3 years. They built their team from scratch like the Phillies and clawed their way to the top.
    I will admitt Im bias but I can think of nothing better then an extended multi year world series battle between the losingest team in sports vs the youngest team in baseball.

5. Route36West - May 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM

6. Sonny - May 8, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Just another game and another ass whipping . This group home atmosphere is great for watching the Yankees beat the hell out of sub standard teams . Maybe the Red Sox can compete with a minor league team . They’re no competition for the Yankees . Be thankful that the Yankees aren’t at full strength , it would be a lot uglier .

7. Sonny - May 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM

What’s the address of your mental hospital ? I feel it’s a nice gesture to send you a sympathy & get well card . I’ve been told to be empathetic to the mentally challenged . Perhaps if you eat your peas & carrots the orderlies will let you watch the next Red Sox beating tomorrow . Remember to behave yourself , and try not to wet the bed .

8. Pisano - May 9, 2010 at 1:26 AM

” Baseball wants the Red Sox to get back into the race ” And people in hell want ice water . It’s not gonna happen .

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4916)