May 7, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Bob Raissman of the Daily News observes that, based on the fact that FOX is giving an unusually-large portion of the nation the Yankees-Sox game tomorrow and based on the fact that the schedule makers have put so many Yankees-Sox games late in the season, baseball was banking on those two titans to slug it out down to the wire. If the Sox don’t get back into the race, he says, it could be a bad thing for the bottom line.
That sound you hear is the rest of the nation not caring one iota. Any business plan that relies so heavily on two teams deserves to be disrupted. Indeed, though it would totally horrifying from a business perspective, I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (154)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)