May 7, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
Bob Raissman of the Daily News observes that, based on the fact that FOX is giving an unusually-large portion of the nation the Yankees-Sox game tomorrow and based on the fact that the schedule makers have put so many Yankees-Sox games late in the season, baseball was banking on those two titans to slug it out down to the wire. If the Sox don’t get back into the race, he says, it could be a bad thing for the bottom line.
That sound you hear is the rest of the nation not caring one iota. Any business plan that relies so heavily on two teams deserves to be disrupted. Indeed, though it would totally horrifying from a business perspective, I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)