Baseball wants the Red Sox to get back into the race

May 7, 2010, 8:58 AM EST

Bob Raissman of the Daily News observes that, based on the fact that FOX is giving an unusually-large portion of the nation the Yankees-Sox game tomorrow and based on the fact that the schedule makers have put so many Yankees-Sox games late in the season, baseball was banking on those two titans to slug it out down to the wire.  If the Sox don’t get back into the race, he says, it could be a bad thing for the bottom line.

That sound you hear is the rest of the nation not caring one iota. Any business plan that relies so heavily on two teams deserves to be disrupted.  Indeed, though it would totally horrifying from a business perspective, I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.

1. APBA Guy - May 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Totally agree, even if the ratings will be half of anything with the Yankees in it. The Rays can get that far if a miracle happens and there are no injuries to their major players. I love SD as a city, I’m happy for their team, but I don’t see .600 baseball continuing for them with out several miracles.

2. YankeesfanLen - May 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM

This shows exactly how much this self-serving simpleton that looks like a circus strongman Bob Raissman know about his home market. He rails against any media outlet that caters to the millions of tri-state Universe fans and disparages this century old rivalry that fans look forward to.
    As a commentor on the media and it’s coverage, what would be his solution? Blackouts and the press boxes shuttered?

3. Nasty Boy - May 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM

” Baseball wants the Red Sox to get back into the race ” GOOD LUCK

4. Moses Green - May 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Sounds like some preemptive excuse-making from the Borg dimension. They know they can’t contend with the Laser Show.

5. Chris Simonds - May 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I’m a long time Red Sox fan, but I couldn’t agree with you more. Sometimes even I get bored with Yankees-Red Sox. I often find myself looking to see if Lincecum or Greinke or Halladay is on the schedule. Not only will I be more likely to see exceptional (as opposed to just good or above average) pitching, but it won’t take four hours either.

6. Lee - May 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Craig is playing Gene Rayburn from the dear, departed Match Game:
    “Indeed, though it would totally _____ from a business perspective, I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.”
    This could be a great new running gag, with a panel of regulars filling in the blanks as creatively as possible.
    My choice? It would totally Ortiz: to drastically under-perform.

7. Phil - May 7, 2010 at 9:44 AM

I have lived in New England my entire 41 years, and been a Red Sox fan for as long as I can remember. And I agree 100% with your last paragraph, Craig.

8. Craig Calcaterra - May 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Heh. I like the Rayburn idea, but I should probably fix that, huh?

9. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Meanwhile the majority of baseball fans just want to see the “Red Sox Nation” shut the hell up for about 90 years.

10. 60eagles - May 7, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I will tune into the Phillies game tonight. The hell with the AL.

11. markfd - May 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM

As a lifelong Yankees fan, I hiope the Red Sux finish with a worst record that the Orioles at the bottom of the East…wish I still lived in New England I bet they are pitching a fit on talk radio.

12. Joey B - May 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM

“That sound you hear is the rest of the nation not caring one iota.”
    I’m not sure you have a future in economics. You remember the Berra-ism, ‘no one goes there anymore; it’s too crowded’? Same applies here. If the rest of the country did not care one iota, why would MLB and Fox emphasize the RS/EE matchup? Do you think they sat down in the scheduling room to figure out which matchup no one cared one iota about?

13. ThinMan - May 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Another lifelong Red Sox fan who isn’t any happier about Fox and ESPN coopting Sox-yankee games and shoving them down your throats than you are. We know the rest of the country could care less about our rivalry, and that’s the way it should be. We’d much rather follow our team on NESN anyway. At least that way we wouldn’t have to put up with the inane blatherings of Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver.

14. Joey B - May 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

“I often find myself looking to see if Lincecum or Greinke or Halladay is on the schedule.”
    That’s fine, as long as you have MLBtv and the full slate of games. If you want to schedule a one-off event, you need to schedule the RS/EE, or this year, the NYY/Philly games. The issue with Greinke is that, if you schedule him for a Sunday night, and he is not scheduled to pitch, more people will tune in to see someone get tasered. RS/EE is a pretty low-risk thing.

15. ecp - May 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I love baseball – obviously – but yes, I’m weary of a world where the only thing that matters is the Yankees/Red Sox. Where the supposed “natural order” of things is that they are “slugging it out down to the wire.” Can I have something else, please?

16. Jason Rosenberg - May 7, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Got to say, I think it’s foolish to expect Fox to think about anything other than ratings. The fact is that Yanks/Sox gets more viewers than almost anything else. It’s not their job to be fair; it’s their job to get viewers. If you want to argue that, long term, some coverage balance will help, that’s fine. But, it’s a pretty hard claim to make with any surety.

17. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - May 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM

We’d much rather follow our team on NESN anyway.

Is Remy back yet? I always would listen to him and Orsillo over the YES guys back when I lived in CT even though I was a Yankee fan. I know he did a few guest appearances last year, but haven’t heard/read anything about how he’s doing recovering from cancer.

18. Will - May 7, 2010 at 1:47 PM

19. Joey B - May 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM

“Good point…baseball can’t survive with the Yankees being the focal point. I mean, sure, the game has thrived for 90 years like that, but now it needs the Rays and Padres to win.
    Meanwhile, the Rays have a great and exciting team, and no one cares. The Yankees, however, have no problem drawing for minor league games right across the bay.”
    Yup, the idea that we need TB, even though they can’t even draw a crowd in TB, just doesn’t fly. I hate the NYY as much as anyone, but it’s useless to deny the impact they have on MLB.
    Compare the crowds the RS and EE draw on the road. They draw more on the road than a fair amount of teams draw at home. TB and BA drew about 1.9M each. BA averaged 20.4k for non-RS & EE games, and 34.4k for the RS & EE games. That extra 14k per game equates to 250k a year. You could argue that the only reason why BA survives is because of the NY and RS fans traveling to BA to see their teams.

20. IdadoMariner - May 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM

“Indeed, though it would totally horrifying from a business perspective, I can imagine nothing better for baseball’s long-term health than a Rays-Padres World Series.”
    that…would be AWESOME.

21. Lee - May 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I like what you’ve done here, Craig. Or, should I say, what you haven’t done.

22. jackie boy - May 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM

All I can say is ” Amen to that “

23. ThinMan - May 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Yes, Remy is back in the booth with Don.

24. funi - May 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Redsox are in the race..for last place! Watching redsox fans cring after every loss is great tv! ESPN is going nuts!!

25. ThinMan - May 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM

That would have looked a lot less silly if you’d posted it before the Sox swept the Angels in their recent 4 game series. The Sox have won 11 of their last 16 games, and 8 of the last 10 at home. That doesn’t exactly look like a team bound for last place to me.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4006)