Cashman would prefer the Yankees to skip Pettitte's next start

May 7, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT

No word yet as to whether the inflammation in Andy Pettitte’s pitching elbow is going to cause him to miss a start, but if Brian Cashman has anything to say about it he will:

“We’ll gather all the troops tomorrow [meaning today] and we’ll make a decision on his
next start. I’m inclined personally to have him skip his
next start.”

In light of the fact that Joe Girardi doesn’t currently have a contract for next season and Brian Cashman is the man who will ultimately decide if he gets one, I’d place my money on Sergio Mitre taking Pettitte’s next turn.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Given that there’s no off-day between tonight and the 19th to rest anyone in the rotation, bringing in Mitre makes the most sense to me. Yankees offense usually pretty good in Comerica too.

2. Big Harold - May 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

“In light of the fact that Joe Girardi doesn’t currently have a contract for next season…”
    I think that Girardi will sit Pettitte and I think he should. It’s way to early in the season to be taking chances. But, Girardi has shown that he’s his own man and if he thought it would be OK to pitch Pettitte I’ve no doubt that is exactly what he’d do.

3. Matthew O'Rourke - May 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Mitre, not Aceves?

4. Eric Cioe - May 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

This article made me want to look up who’d be pitching on the 13th when I go see the Yankees play the Tigers. Verlander/Sabathia. Yes.

5. Pisano - May 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM

They’ll do just fine skipping him a start or two . Mitre , Aceves ,or someone from AAA, they have enough replacements . When they get back to full strength they’ll run away with the AL east like they did last year .

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate