Great Moments in Wiffleball History

May 7, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT

It took me a minute to realize that this video of a 1979 Wiffleball game was nothing but a stunning recreation.  Kudos to filmmakers Perry Jenkins and Travis Kurtz for getting all of the details of the so very, very wrong fashions of the late 70s so very, very right.  And I’m pretty sure that Speck Branson is my older brother.

You want shorts like those. Don’t lie, dudes.

1. Joe L - May 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

The only flaw is that the striped tube socks are not nearly high enough. I used to get mine up over my knees. The wardrobe department gets only a B+.

2. Big Harold - May 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM

We wore those exact same socks, with the same type of cut offs, standing under the very same hair cuts. But, we were real men we played softball while drinking our beers.
    Ah, … good times.

3. d - May 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

ah yes, Op shorts and shirts, jean cut offs, good times!

4. Carroll - May 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I was not a child of the 70’s, but merely a child in the 70s. However, the look reminds me of how cool my brothers were, and the gamesmanship reminds me of a league I played in late 80s.
    Made everything about Friday morning even better.

5. markfd - May 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I was 7 in 1979 and had socks like that and had a Pirates plastic batting helmet too (I always was the Pirates when we chose not to play Red sox vs Yankees). funny clip

6. APBA Guy - May 7, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Good bat speed on the guy in the flowered shirt.

7. scatterbrian - May 7, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
    At one point that guy says “Come over and catch, you M.R.”
    Anyone know what that means?

8. Corky - May 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Mental Retard I think.

9. Joel V - May 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Yeah, It may have a been a northern CA regional thing, but in the 70s “M.R.” was what became “Retard” later.

10. Pandamonium - May 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM

PARTAYYYYY

11. Teach - May 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Well done as always! Here’s to OHS from England…

12. Enos - May 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Not only were those OP shorts, they were OP corduroy shorts! I had a pair of those as well as a SF Giants plastic helmet. We played in a friends backyard where his garage was the green monster. You could catch the ball of the roof for an out, but not off the side of the garage. It made for some great arguments.

All the trade deadline news to know