May 7, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Kerry Wood had an ugly first rehab appearance at Double-A, allowing six runs while recording just two outs Monday, but bounced back with a scoreless inning Wednesday to apparently convince the Indians he’s ready to return.
Wood has been sidelined since straining his back in the middle of spring training, but the Indians activated him from the disabled list this afternoon and surprisingly cleared room on the roster by demoting Jensen Lewis to Triple-A.
Lewis has struggled to throw strikes this season, walking nine batters in 10.1 innings, but logged 66 innings as a setup man in each of the past two seasons and has a career ERA of 3.77. He deserved to stick around, but unfortunately for Lewis he has a minor-league option remaining.
Ideally the Indians would probably ease Wood back into the bullpen mix slowly, but that timetable may be sped up because fill-in closer Chris Perez has blown two saves in six chances while walking six batters in 9.1 innings. Regardless of his initial role, if Wood can string together some impressive outings the Indians figure to start shopping him around pretty aggressively. He’s making $10.5 million this season, with a certain-to-be-declined $11 million team option for 2011.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)