May 7, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Kerry Wood had an ugly first rehab appearance at Double-A, allowing six runs while recording just two outs Monday, but bounced back with a scoreless inning Wednesday to apparently convince the Indians he’s ready to return.
Wood has been sidelined since straining his back in the middle of spring training, but the Indians activated him from the disabled list this afternoon and surprisingly cleared room on the roster by demoting Jensen Lewis to Triple-A.
Lewis has struggled to throw strikes this season, walking nine batters in 10.1 innings, but logged 66 innings as a setup man in each of the past two seasons and has a career ERA of 3.77. He deserved to stick around, but unfortunately for Lewis he has a minor-league option remaining.
Ideally the Indians would probably ease Wood back into the bullpen mix slowly, but that timetable may be sped up because fill-in closer Chris Perez has blown two saves in six chances while walking six batters in 9.1 innings. Regardless of his initial role, if Wood can string together some impressive outings the Indians figure to start shopping him around pretty aggressively. He’s making $10.5 million this season, with a certain-to-be-declined $11 million team option for 2011.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 30
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 83
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 88
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)