May 7, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Kerry Wood had an ugly first rehab appearance at Double-A, allowing six runs while recording just two outs Monday, but bounced back with a scoreless inning Wednesday to apparently convince the Indians he’s ready to return.
Wood has been sidelined since straining his back in the middle of spring training, but the Indians activated him from the disabled list this afternoon and surprisingly cleared room on the roster by demoting Jensen Lewis to Triple-A.
Lewis has struggled to throw strikes this season, walking nine batters in 10.1 innings, but logged 66 innings as a setup man in each of the past two seasons and has a career ERA of 3.77. He deserved to stick around, but unfortunately for Lewis he has a minor-league option remaining.
Ideally the Indians would probably ease Wood back into the bullpen mix slowly, but that timetable may be sped up because fill-in closer Chris Perez has blown two saves in six chances while walking six batters in 9.1 innings. Regardless of his initial role, if Wood can string together some impressive outings the Indians figure to start shopping him around pretty aggressively. He’s making $10.5 million this season, with a certain-to-be-declined $11 million team option for 2011.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)