May 7, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Kerry Wood had an ugly first rehab appearance at Double-A, allowing six runs while recording just two outs Monday, but bounced back with a scoreless inning Wednesday to apparently convince the Indians he’s ready to return.
Wood has been sidelined since straining his back in the middle of spring training, but the Indians activated him from the disabled list this afternoon and surprisingly cleared room on the roster by demoting Jensen Lewis to Triple-A.
Lewis has struggled to throw strikes this season, walking nine batters in 10.1 innings, but logged 66 innings as a setup man in each of the past two seasons and has a career ERA of 3.77. He deserved to stick around, but unfortunately for Lewis he has a minor-league option remaining.
Ideally the Indians would probably ease Wood back into the bullpen mix slowly, but that timetable may be sped up because fill-in closer Chris Perez has blown two saves in six chances while walking six batters in 9.1 innings. Regardless of his initial role, if Wood can string together some impressive outings the Indians figure to start shopping him around pretty aggressively. He’s making $10.5 million this season, with a certain-to-be-declined $11 million team option for 2011.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)