May 7, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
An announcement of two new initiatives from Sandy Alderson’s Office of Major League Baseball in the Dominican Republic:
First, in cooperation with independent trainers, MLB has launched
workshops that will educate unsigned young players about the dangers of
Second, beginning today, MLB will institute a comprehensive
registration and drug testing program for unsigned prospects who will
become eligible to sign professional contracts after July 1, 2010.
This is a good move. Baseball invests far too much in international signing to mess around with players who juice up while being scouted, give teams an inflated sense of their
strength and speed and then go off the stuff and reveal themselves to be
lesser players once minor league testing kicks in.
Which has been happening quite a bit lately. You’ll recall that back in March the Indians announced that they were going to do this on their own. My concern at the time was that this would simply work to make players avoid the Indians and whatever handful of teams adopted such a policy.
Good for Major League Baseball for taking a comprehensive approach to this.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)