Skip to content

Milton Bradley placed on restricted list, unlikely to rejoin Mariners any time soon

May 7, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT

Milton Bradley must sit out five games after the Mariners placed him on the restricted list yesterday, but Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that “he’ll be gone at least a week and likely longer.”
According to Baker, the perpetually disgruntled outfielder “will remain in Seattle and work out on his own, but won’t be rejoining the team until everybody involved feels that he’s ready.” Or as general manager Jack Zduriencik put it: “When we’re satisfied that he’s mentally ready to resume playing and feels comfortable in his surroundings here.”
In the meantime the Mariners are expected to have Ryan Langerhans split time in left field with Michael Saunders, who was called up from Triple-A last night to replace Bradley on the roster. They’re both lefty bats, but Saunders is a 23-year-old prospect while Langerhans is a 30-year-old journeyman, so the Mariners figure to give Saunders every opportunity to claim a larger share of the starts if he looks good initially.
Saunders struggled in his first taste of the majors last season and got off to a poor start at Triple-A this year, but hit .310 with a .922 OPS at Triple-A in 2009 and looks capable of being a .275 hitter with 20-homer power eventually if things break right.

  1. 60eagles - May 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM

    Well, you pull the lever on a slot you lose most of the time. Seattle pulled the Bradley Slot and lost. They never had a chance. They were fools. The same with Montreal, Cleveland, Toronto, LA Dodgers, Oakland, San Diago, Texas and the Cubs. What the hell made them think they would be different. Morons!

  2. BC - May 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM

    I’m bummed. The lack of sound bytes is gonna hurt.

  3. scatterbrian - May 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM

    How does the restricted list work? Is it indefinite? I found a link that led to something that said a player can be on a restricted list for up to two years, but that sounds ridiculously long.

  4. kanock - May 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM

    It’s just a shame he didn’t get to Boston . Boston’s fans make the Cubs fans look like altar boys . Never say never, he could get there some day . Talk about a match made in hell , there it is .

  5. jwb - May 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

    “I found a link that led to something that said a player can be on a restricted list for up to two years”
    This is to prevent players from “retiring” to get out of a bad organization or situation and then coming back the next year as a free agent. The Nationals placed Colton Willems, a high draft pick from a few years ago who announced his retirement earlier this week, on the restricted list rather than the voluntarily retired list because the retired list expires at the end of the season.
    Somebody like J.R. Towles, the Houston catcher who was recently optioned to AA and is not happy about it could say, “Bleep it, I’m retiring!” and play indy ball this season and look for a job as a free agent next winter if Houston couldn’t keep him on the restricted list for more than a year.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB
Top 10 MLB Player Searches
  1. J. Soler (2929)
  2. A. Dunn (2773)
  3. R. Castillo (2733)
  4. A. Rizzo (2598)
  5. M. Cabrera (2572)
  1. J. Ellsbury (2252)
  2. M. Wacha (2119)
  3. Y. Molina (2088)
  4. B. Posey (1958)
  5. D. Pedroia (1907)