May 7, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Brian McCann, who dealt with blurred vision in the early part of last season, told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he is going back to glasses because he is having trouble seeing out of his right eye during night games.
As you recall, it was the left eye that was giving him problems last season. McCann underwent a second LASIK procedure over the winter, but didn’t have his right eye fixed at the time. Interestingly, McCann had not mentioned his recent vision problems to anyone besides his eye doctor — not even manager Bobby Cox — until this week.
“We definitely knew this was a possibility. The whole deal’s
frustrating. I wasn’t going to sit here and make a big deal out of it.
I’m gonna wear [the glasses] and play. The good thing is, I know I can
play in the glasses.”
McCann, who is batting just .196 over his last 51 at-bats, is out of the lineup for a second straight day on Friday. The new specs are set to arrive on Saturday in Philadelphia.
Just examining how McCann’s vision problems may have affected his performance, here are his day/night splits:
Day: .375/.531/.667 with two homers and four RBI in 24 at-bats
Night: .180/.328/.240 with zero homers and five RBI in 50 at-bats
Pretty stark difference. Hopefully the glasses will get him back on track.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 38
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)