May 7, 2010, 8:56 PM EST
Brian McCann, who dealt with blurred vision in the early part of last season, told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he is going back to glasses because he is having trouble seeing out of his right eye during night games.
As you recall, it was the left eye that was giving him problems last season. McCann underwent a second LASIK procedure over the winter, but didn’t have his right eye fixed at the time. Interestingly, McCann had not mentioned his recent vision problems to anyone besides his eye doctor — not even manager Bobby Cox — until this week.
“We definitely knew this was a possibility. The whole deal’s
frustrating. I wasn’t going to sit here and make a big deal out of it.
I’m gonna wear [the glasses] and play. The good thing is, I know I can
play in the glasses.”
McCann, who is batting just .196 over his last 51 at-bats, is out of the lineup for a second straight day on Friday. The new specs are set to arrive on Saturday in Philadelphia.
Just examining how McCann’s vision problems may have affected his performance, here are his day/night splits:
Day: .375/.531/.667 with two homers and four RBI in 24 at-bats
Night: .180/.328/.240 with zero homers and five RBI in 50 at-bats
Pretty stark difference. Hopefully the glasses will get him back on track.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)