May 7, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Brian McCann, who dealt with blurred vision in the early part of last season, told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he is going back to glasses because he is having trouble seeing out of his right eye during night games.
As you recall, it was the left eye that was giving him problems last season. McCann underwent a second LASIK procedure over the winter, but didn’t have his right eye fixed at the time. Interestingly, McCann had not mentioned his recent vision problems to anyone besides his eye doctor — not even manager Bobby Cox — until this week.
“We definitely knew this was a possibility. The whole deal’s
frustrating. I wasn’t going to sit here and make a big deal out of it.
I’m gonna wear [the glasses] and play. The good thing is, I know I can
play in the glasses.”
McCann, who is batting just .196 over his last 51 at-bats, is out of the lineup for a second straight day on Friday. The new specs are set to arrive on Saturday in Philadelphia.
Just examining how McCann’s vision problems may have affected his performance, here are his day/night splits:
Day: .375/.531/.667 with two homers and four RBI in 24 at-bats
Night: .180/.328/.240 with zero homers and five RBI in 50 at-bats
Pretty stark difference. Hopefully the glasses will get him back on track.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (145)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)