May 7, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Brian McCann, who dealt with blurred vision in the early part of last season, told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he is going back to glasses because he is having trouble seeing out of his right eye during night games.
As you recall, it was the left eye that was giving him problems last season. McCann underwent a second LASIK procedure over the winter, but didn’t have his right eye fixed at the time. Interestingly, McCann had not mentioned his recent vision problems to anyone besides his eye doctor — not even manager Bobby Cox — until this week.
“We definitely knew this was a possibility. The whole deal’s
frustrating. I wasn’t going to sit here and make a big deal out of it.
I’m gonna wear [the glasses] and play. The good thing is, I know I can
play in the glasses.”
McCann, who is batting just .196 over his last 51 at-bats, is out of the lineup for a second straight day on Friday. The new specs are set to arrive on Saturday in Philadelphia.
Just examining how McCann’s vision problems may have affected his performance, here are his day/night splits:
Day: .375/.531/.667 with two homers and four RBI in 24 at-bats
Night: .180/.328/.240 with zero homers and five RBI in 50 at-bats
Pretty stark difference. Hopefully the glasses will get him back on track.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)