May 7, 2010, 8:56 PM EDT
Brian McCann, who dealt with blurred vision in the early part of last season, told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he is going back to glasses because he is having trouble seeing out of his right eye during night games.
As you recall, it was the left eye that was giving him problems last season. McCann underwent a second LASIK procedure over the winter, but didn’t have his right eye fixed at the time. Interestingly, McCann had not mentioned his recent vision problems to anyone besides his eye doctor — not even manager Bobby Cox — until this week.
“We definitely knew this was a possibility. The whole deal’s
frustrating. I wasn’t going to sit here and make a big deal out of it.
I’m gonna wear [the glasses] and play. The good thing is, I know I can
play in the glasses.”
McCann, who is batting just .196 over his last 51 at-bats, is out of the lineup for a second straight day on Friday. The new specs are set to arrive on Saturday in Philadelphia.
Just examining how McCann’s vision problems may have affected his performance, here are his day/night splits:
Day: .375/.531/.667 with two homers and four RBI in 24 at-bats
Night: .180/.328/.240 with zero homers and five RBI in 50 at-bats
Pretty stark difference. Hopefully the glasses will get him back on track.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)