May 7, 2010, 7:19 PM EST
During an interview with Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald on Friday, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria had some high praise for prospect outfielder Mike Stanton and hinted that we will see him in the majors very soon.
“He could hit 500 home runs. When he’s ready to come, he’s going to be
here. When he’s ready and the baseball people tell me he’s ready to do
it, we’ll do it. I gather the baseball people don’t want him to come and
fail. If he’s going to come here, he’s going to come here to stay. We
always want to provide the foundation for success, not temporary
success.He’ll probably be here this summer, that’s all I can tell you.
He’ll be very exciting to come around. Don’t forget, there’s a lot of
pressure to put on a 20-year-old man.”
Stanton, 20, is batting .340/.477/.840 with an incredible 14 home runs and 31 RBI in 100 at-bats with Double-A Jacksonville this season. His OPS? 1.317! His home run on Thursday? Yeah, it just landed.
As for the current Marlins outfielders, they’ve combined to hit just four home runs in 370 plate appearances entering Friday’s action. Stanton still strikes out a little too much, but he’s at least balanced his 31 strikeouts with 26 walks. But he’s a little less likely to be feared in the major leagues, at least initially. In any case, you can bank on seeing him in the bigs after Memorial Day.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)