May 7, 2010, 4:38 PM EST
Craig gave a nice obituary Thursday on the life and times of former major leaguer Robin Roberts, who passed away suddenly at the age of 83. Now Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer has added to the legend.
According to Gelb, Roberts’ 18-year-old granddaughter Jennifer had a premonition when Phillies outfielder Jayson Werth stepped to the plate Thursday against the Cardinals’ Kyle Lohse. She predicted that he would homer in honor of her grandfather, and he did just that.
“She said Werth was going to hit a home run just for Pops,” Roberts’ son Jim told the Inquirer. “And then he did. There were quite a
few tears in our living room at that point.”
The Phillies went on to win 7-2, taking three-of-four games from the NL Central-leading Redbirds. Werth was informed of the prediction after the game.
“That’s [amazing] right there,” the Phillies’ rightfielder said, rubbing the goosebumps on his arm.
Werth, 30, is batting a scorching .354 this season with a .417 on-base percentage and five home runs in 99 at-bats. The Phils stand 17-11, good enough for first place in the National League East.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)