May 7, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Starlin Castro is the Cubs’ number one prospect and, according to Keith Law, who has seen him play, is one of the most exciting prospects in all of baseball. He has an electric bat with decent pop for a middle infielder, good range at shortstop and an arm Cubs’ fans haven’t seen since Shawon Dunston.
He also has a ticket to Chicago as of this morning, as ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that he is being called up from Double-A Tennessee. Castro is batting .376/.421/.569 with one home run, 20 RBI and 20
runs scored. He’ll presumably take over shortstop, moving Ryan Theriot to second base and Mike Fontenot to, well, who really cares?
Cubs fans could use a little excitement. They’re about to get it.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)