May 7, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Starlin Castro is the Cubs’ number one prospect and, according to Keith Law, who has seen him play, is one of the most exciting prospects in all of baseball. He has an electric bat with decent pop for a middle infielder, good range at shortstop and an arm Cubs’ fans haven’t seen since Shawon Dunston.
He also has a ticket to Chicago as of this morning, as ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that he is being called up from Double-A Tennessee. Castro is batting .376/.421/.569 with one home run, 20 RBI and 20
runs scored. He’ll presumably take over shortstop, moving Ryan Theriot to second base and Mike Fontenot to, well, who really cares?
Cubs fans could use a little excitement. They’re about to get it.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 21
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 107
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 104
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 96
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)