May 7, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Starlin Castro is the Cubs’ number one prospect and, according to Keith Law, who has seen him play, is one of the most exciting prospects in all of baseball. He has an electric bat with decent pop for a middle infielder, good range at shortstop and an arm Cubs’ fans haven’t seen since Shawon Dunston.
He also has a ticket to Chicago as of this morning, as ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that he is being called up from Double-A Tennessee. Castro is batting .376/.421/.569 with one home run, 20 RBI and 20
runs scored. He’ll presumably take over shortstop, moving Ryan Theriot to second base and Mike Fontenot to, well, who really cares?
Cubs fans could use a little excitement. They’re about to get it.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)