May 7, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT
Starlin Castro is the Cubs’ number one prospect and, according to Keith Law, who has seen him play, is one of the most exciting prospects in all of baseball. He has an electric bat with decent pop for a middle infielder, good range at shortstop and an arm Cubs’ fans haven’t seen since Shawon Dunston.
He also has a ticket to Chicago as of this morning, as ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reports that he is being called up from Double-A Tennessee. Castro is batting .376/.421/.569 with one home run, 20 RBI and 20
runs scored. He’ll presumably take over shortstop, moving Ryan Theriot to second base and Mike Fontenot to, well, who really cares?
Cubs fans could use a little excitement. They’re about to get it.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)