The differences between Mets fans and Yankees fans

May 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT

Mets Yankees logos.jpgThe Wall Street Journal hired a public opinion polling firm to conduct a survey of New Yorkers in an effort to figure out the differences between Mets fans and Yankees fans. Among the results:

• Sixty percent of the survey’s baseball fans were Yankees fans, 33% were Mets fans. They break down how you’d expect geographically, with more Yankees fans in the Bronx and more Mets fans in Queens, but Manhattan is split down the middle at 19% each. Which means that 62% of baseball fans in Manhattan don’t root for either the Mets or the Yankees?!  Know what? Screw Manhattan.
  • “Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their
    education during or just after high school.”  No comment.
  • “Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer.
    They also drink more in general: the percentage of male Yankees fans who
    said they don’t drink was almost double that of their Mets counterparts
    (30% to 16%).”  OK, screw Yankees fans too.
  • “Mets fans owned more guns (11% versus 5%).”  Maybe I’ll lighten up on the Mets bashing . . .
  • “Mets fans had the Yankees fans beat in one telling category: they seem
    to pay a lot more attention. Not only do they monitor their team’s
    progress more often and make more bets, they listen to substantially
    more sports radio (26% to 17%).”

Many more fun results in the survey, all of which I’m sure I could spin to aggravate the majority of you if I really felt like it.

1. BillyBeaneismyHero - May 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Yankees fans are more educated than Mets fans? Are you sure? There are an awful lot of Yankee fans who live in New Jersey, and if you chose to live in Jersey, you can’t be all that smart. We’ve all seen Jersey Shore, and we all know this is an accurate representation of not only the people who live there, but also Yankee fans in general.
    What was that? This survey was only for real New Yorkers, and not the ones that try to pass themselves off as New Yorkers because they’re embarrassed to be from Jersey? Ok then. Nevermind…

2. Simon DelMonte - May 7, 2010 at 2:32 PM

2. Apparently, if you believe the online version of the survey, I am a Yankees fan. I have no idea what these numbers mean, aside from the geographic ones. I can also tell you that I know plenty of Yankees fans who follow their team as closely as I do, and plenty of Mets fans who don’t.
    3. Might as well admit that I listen to sports talk radio, but not to WFAN.

3. enough already - May 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I’m already aggravated. Thanks, man. Have a great weekend.

4. BC - May 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM

No guns and a master’s degree. So why do I root for the Mets again? Must be the beer.

5. Big Harold - May 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM

“Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their education during or just after high school.”
    Yeah like a survey was needed to figure that out.
    “Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer. They also drink more in general: the percentage of male Yankees fans who said they don’t drink was almost double that of their Mets counterparts (30% to 16%).”
    That’s OK, I’m a beer drinking Yankee fan and I’m pretty sure that I’m more than making up for those wussies who ain’t drinking. I’m making up for the gun ownership thing too.
    “Mets fans had the Yankees fans beat in one telling category: they seem to pay a lot more attention. …”
    They have to. They’re checking for signs of life!

6. John Willumsen - May 7, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Having lived in Manhattan for all of my 23 years, I can say with some confidence: NOBODY is from here. Frankly I’m surprised that 38% of Manhattan baseball fans root for the NY teams. Growing up none of my friends’ parents were from here (mine aren’t) and now that I’m older, few of my friends are native NYers, and that number is continually dwindling. Manhattan folk just aren’t from NYC in general it would seem. So don’t hate ‘em, applaud them for sticking to their original rooting interest, even with the temptation of the Yankees right in their backyard.

7. Funzo - May 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Agreed with John W. — one of my favorite things about living in a city as large as NY is the ability to find a bar that caters to any niche sports fanhood you can think of, from the Pats at Professor Thom’s to the Pack at Kettle of Fish to early-morning Premier League happy hours at Lillian’s.

8. jwb - May 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Since Mets games are broadcast on a sports talk radio station, I think it is more likely that Mets fans have their radios on that station.

9. BCTF - May 7, 2010 at 3:03 PM

“1. Boy, WSJ is trying really hard to prove it knows how to cover NY news. And to spend whatever money Murdoch has left in the process.”
    This does not make any sense. I am pretty sure Murdoch isn’t running low on money and I am pretty sure he doesn’t micro manage his newspaper editors.

10. Jonny5 - May 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Ok Cheesewick, The Jersey Shore was a bunch of New Yorkers at the Jersey shore. No one in New Jersey wants to be confused with New Yorkers. We Hate NY in NJ. We get your stink that wafts south across our border from the hellhole you call a city. The water that surrounds NY sometimes browns up our ocean. You have terrible accents and it’s spread to north Jersey, most likely because that’s one of the few places people are dumb enough to want to be like New yorkers. Where I live in NJ is a beautiful historic place and the only smells i have to deal with don’t smell like excrement as New yorkers have to deal with. Jealousy will get you nowhere! Go Phillies! Woo hoo! And Craig, look for the Green 1981 throwback hat tomorrow that’ll be me in the stands.

11. Ken - May 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM

You are the internet equivalent of sports talk radio. The only thing lamer than self-hatred is lack of self-awareness, so which is it?

12. Mark - May 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM

OK, here’s a survey stumper: I have B.S., M.A., Ph.D., and M.S. degrees (I am NOT making that up), and I luv the brewskies, AND I am as much of a Mets fan as I am a Yankees fan (the 2000 World Series?: Heaven on Earth!). Oh yeah, I was also born and raised in Brooklyn and taught to believe that the Giants and Dodgers were pond scum for leaving NYC. Alien from another planet? No, like I said, I’m from Brooklyn. Comments and demographic-profile analyses are welcome!

13. Mark - May 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Jonny5 seems to be a walking advertisement for birth control (but those of us from NY know that that’s the case with most of our brethren from the Garden State)!

14. Grant - May 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, Manhattan is definitely majority newcomers. Brooklyn has parts that are filled with us recent arrivals, but Manhattan is where most go.

15. D.J. Short - May 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Did it ask how many “Yankees fans” were Mets fans in the 80s? ‘Cus I’m sure it’s sizable number.

16. Old Gator - May 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I think it’s much more likely that the curtailed education of Mets fans explains by itself why they listen to so much more sports talk radio.

17. Charles - May 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Wow. I would not have guessed that a Yankees fan is three times more likely to be a pedophile. I wonder how they measured that?

18. Moses Green - May 7, 2010 at 7:25 PM

#1 difference – Yankee fans have a reasonable expectation of winning every year.

19. Charles Gates - May 7, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Channeling my inner-Pedroia: I have 2 guns and a master’s degree. Left and Right bicep. I root for the Yankees and Orioles…and I’m starting to follow the Nats too. Mmm…beer.

20. J F A - May 8, 2010 at 7:18 AM

It’s true! I love to drink and and I love sports talk radio! Lets go Mets!

21. Route36West - May 8, 2010 at 9:02 PM

“OK, I know this wasn’t a contest or anything, but if Mets fans listen to more sports talk radio they lose the survey, hands down, because that’s just poor.”
    O yeah like reading or writing for a sports blog is the epitome of style. Bloggers are to ugly for tv, to boring for radio, and to stupid for a column.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5034)