May 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Wall Street Journal hired a public opinion polling firm to conduct a survey of New Yorkers in an effort to figure out the differences between Mets fans and Yankees fans. Among the results:
- Sixty percent of the survey’s baseball fans were Yankees fans, 33% were Mets fans. They break down how you’d expect geographically, with more Yankees fans in the Bronx and more Mets fans in Queens, but Manhattan is split down the middle at 19% each. Which means that 62% of baseball fans in Manhattan don’t root for either the Mets or the Yankees?! Know what? Screw Manhattan.
- “Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their
education during or just after high school.” No comment.
- “Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer.
They also drink more in general: the percentage of male Yankees fans who
said they don’t drink was almost double that of their Mets counterparts
(30% to 16%).” OK, screw Yankees fans too.
- “Mets fans owned more guns (11% versus 5%).” Maybe I’ll lighten up on the Mets bashing . . .
- “Mets fans had the Yankees fans beat in one telling category: they seem
to pay a lot more attention. Not only do they monitor their team’s
progress more often and make more bets, they listen to substantially
more sports radio (26% to 17%).”
OK, I know this wasn’t a contest or anything, but if Mets fans listen to more sports talk radio they lose the survey, hands down, because that’s just poor.
Many more fun results in the survey, all of which I’m sure I could spin to aggravate the majority of you if I really felt like it.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)