May 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
The Wall Street Journal hired a public opinion polling firm to conduct a survey of New Yorkers in an effort to figure out the differences between Mets fans and Yankees fans. Among the results:
- Sixty percent of the survey’s baseball fans were Yankees fans, 33% were Mets fans. They break down how you’d expect geographically, with more Yankees fans in the Bronx and more Mets fans in Queens, but Manhattan is split down the middle at 19% each. Which means that 62% of baseball fans in Manhattan don’t root for either the Mets or the Yankees?! Know what? Screw Manhattan.
- “Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their
education during or just after high school.” No comment.
- “Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer.
They also drink more in general: the percentage of male Yankees fans who
said they don’t drink was almost double that of their Mets counterparts
(30% to 16%).” OK, screw Yankees fans too.
- “Mets fans owned more guns (11% versus 5%).” Maybe I’ll lighten up on the Mets bashing . . .
- “Mets fans had the Yankees fans beat in one telling category: they seem
to pay a lot more attention. Not only do they monitor their team’s
progress more often and make more bets, they listen to substantially
more sports radio (26% to 17%).”
OK, I know this wasn’t a contest or anything, but if Mets fans listen to more sports talk radio they lose the survey, hands down, because that’s just poor.
Many more fun results in the survey, all of which I’m sure I could spin to aggravate the majority of you if I really felt like it.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)