May 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Wall Street Journal hired a public opinion polling firm to conduct a survey of New Yorkers in an effort to figure out the differences between Mets fans and Yankees fans. Among the results:
- Sixty percent of the survey’s baseball fans were Yankees fans, 33% were Mets fans. They break down how you’d expect geographically, with more Yankees fans in the Bronx and more Mets fans in Queens, but Manhattan is split down the middle at 19% each. Which means that 62% of baseball fans in Manhattan don’t root for either the Mets or the Yankees?! Know what? Screw Manhattan.
- “Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their
education during or just after high school.” No comment.
- “Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer.
They also drink more in general: the percentage of male Yankees fans who
said they don’t drink was almost double that of their Mets counterparts
(30% to 16%).” OK, screw Yankees fans too.
- “Mets fans owned more guns (11% versus 5%).” Maybe I’ll lighten up on the Mets bashing . . .
- “Mets fans had the Yankees fans beat in one telling category: they seem
to pay a lot more attention. Not only do they monitor their team’s
progress more often and make more bets, they listen to substantially
more sports radio (26% to 17%).”
OK, I know this wasn’t a contest or anything, but if Mets fans listen to more sports talk radio they lose the survey, hands down, because that’s just poor.
Many more fun results in the survey, all of which I’m sure I could spin to aggravate the majority of you if I really felt like it.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 58
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)