May 7, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Wall Street Journal hired a public opinion polling firm to conduct a survey of New Yorkers in an effort to figure out the differences between Mets fans and Yankees fans. Among the results:
- Sixty percent of the survey’s baseball fans were Yankees fans, 33% were Mets fans. They break down how you’d expect geographically, with more Yankees fans in the Bronx and more Mets fans in Queens, but Manhattan is split down the middle at 19% each. Which means that 62% of baseball fans in Manhattan don’t root for either the Mets or the Yankees?! Know what? Screw Manhattan.
- “Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their
education during or just after high school.” No comment.
- “Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer.
They also drink more in general: the percentage of male Yankees fans who
said they don’t drink was almost double that of their Mets counterparts
(30% to 16%).” OK, screw Yankees fans too.
- “Mets fans owned more guns (11% versus 5%).” Maybe I’ll lighten up on the Mets bashing . . .
- “Mets fans had the Yankees fans beat in one telling category: they seem
to pay a lot more attention. Not only do they monitor their team’s
progress more often and make more bets, they listen to substantially
more sports radio (26% to 17%).”
OK, I know this wasn’t a contest or anything, but if Mets fans listen to more sports talk radio they lose the survey, hands down, because that’s just poor.
Many more fun results in the survey, all of which I’m sure I could spin to aggravate the majority of you if I really felt like it.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)