A-Rod doesn't want to extend Dallas Braden's "15 minutes of fame"

May 8, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT

From the “In Case You Missed It” file, on Friday Alex Rodriguez responded to Dallas Braden’s interview with CSN’s Mychael Urban from earlier this week. He told reporters, via ESPNNewYork.com:

“I think Major League Baseball reads the same articles as we do,”
Rodriguez said. “Now, look, I really don’t want to extend his extra 15
minutes of fame.”

I understand that people disagree on whether Rodriguez broke an unwritten rule, but I gotta say, I really love his answer here. Not only is he absolutely right, but he takes a considerable dig at Braden at the same time. Also, watching this interview between Braden and Urban again, I can’t help but feel how contrived and silly it all is. Either way, I assure you that MLB is taking it very seriously.

1. Meryl - May 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I am a diehard Yankees fan, and I do like Arod, but in just one day Braden’s “15 minutes of fame” became “forever fame” in major league baseball. Good for him. How special that it happened on Mother’s Day to a young man who lost is Mom to cancer and who’s emotional embrace of his grandma will always be remembered on his most “perfect” day. You have an angel looking upon you. Congratulations Dallas Braden!

2. Screwball'd - May 9, 2010 at 6:49 PM

lol Go Braden… junk ball pitchers are awesome- and A-Rod, like him or hate him, is a primadonna… and that is that. I really couldn’t care less about him to be honest- don’t like him or dislike him- he’s just another player to me at this point in his career.
    I don’t even know what the initial controversy was (I heard some weird rule was brought up w/ A-Rod involved, but I didn’t know this was what it was about and still don’t know exactly what happened to begin with), but shutting down the best hitting team in baseball w/ a screwball and other junk is just neat to me.
    I’d love to see a pitch f/x for this game…I wonder how many screwballs (or whatever is classified on most charts as such- maybe just unknown pitch) he even threw?

3. Joshua - May 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM

19th pitcher in all of major league baseball history to pitch a PERFECT GAME. take that jackass

4. Screwball'd - May 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

And… people who are now going to jump down A-Rod’s throat are no better than those who were just chewing at Braden.
    It just goes to show that Yankees fans aren’t always the biggest babies in sports- other teams have their fair share too. :)
    A-Rod isn’t to blame here. Give Braden his credit and just pretend their little encounter just never happened. A-Rod will forever be a more memorable player than Dallas Braden, Oakland A’ lefty & screwball specialist destined to land in some NL park in the next 3-5 yrs I’d say- but this is a special moment for the guy and a dumb controversy (like this one seems to be) shouldn’t get in the way.
    If anything, I wouldn’t be surprised to see A-Rod congratulate Braden one way or another thru the media outlets. Yes, I said he was a primmadonna and I meant it, but he knows his place. I am not a NYY or BOS fan but one poster did have a point- at least he did not completely duck & dodge the whole ordeal ala Ortiz…
    My take on steroids is… half of my favorite players of this era and my all-time favorite player were and was juiced. I have no room to judge. Timing has a lot to do with how player-X comes out of the situation and how they look after the fact- i.e. the fact that A-Rod’s failed test was before it was outlawed whereas Manny failed recently, Sosa’s ability to forget english on the stand versus. McGwire being shunned for yrs only until now, since he’s decided to come clean because he’s in need of work.
    The steroid issue, it really is about timing. It’s like Palmeiro… look at his case. He hits whatever milestone he got to before vanishes and then less than a month later I think the ‘roid news broke out? It’s just how it is. Guys like A-Rod & even Manny at least have time ahead of them to erase those thoughts- Ortiz is done in my eyes… and his freefall is pretty similar to that of a guy like Sosa’s, so it is all the more reason to believe he was juiced when he got to Boston (plus… does anyone still actually think he’s 34? Even Soriano was 2 yrs older… good chance Ortiz is more like 37-39)

5. David - May 9, 2010 at 7:06 PM

D. Braden’s 15 minutes of fame has now been extended indefinitely. And he threw his perfect game without the benefit of PEDs. Bet ARod wishes he could say that about his milestones.

6. Not Sonny - May 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Sonny is A-Hole in disguise.

7. Katie - May 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Dallas Braden has done something that only 18 others have ever done before him. His actions speak far louder than his words, and his 15 minutes have been extended into eternity.

8. Big Harold - May 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM

“His actions speak far louder than his words, and his 15 minutes have been extended into eternity.”
    Yeah but too bad he isn’t smart enough to let those actions speak for him. If he had two brain cells on speaking terms he might be smart enough to keep his mouth shut but so far he’s yet to show anything close to that much intelligence. Extending ones 15 minutes of fame IS NOT a plus if one is, as Dallas Braden has demonstrated, a complete imbecile.
    Dallas Braden looks like he’s well on his way to being the answer to a baseball trivia question and not much more.

9. LakeMonster - May 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM

15 minutes of fame isn’t beating the Yankees and a no hitter against the top AL East team. He’s been having a pretty good season and making A-rod look like an a$$hole along the way. Good for him.

10. Rich - May 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Good on you, Braden!
    Wonder how many minutes A-Roid himself would have had without the steroids.

Three legends off to Cooperstown